Small chip on lid on 2011 MBP 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MUBiomed, Feb 26, 2011.

1. MUBiomed macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

Bought a new MBP (in the sig) yesterday and while unboxing it I noticed a small chip on the leading edge of the lid. I have attached a pic and before everyone looses their cool I am simply asking if the chip will get worse over time since there is a "chink in the armor" so to say. I dont want to be pulling this thing in and of a bag and having more flake off over time. I can obviously return it no questions asked to Best Buy in 14 days.

Again please remain calm when you see the pic (and no I will not scratch it as I use it, when I sell MacBooks/MBPs used they look new)

Attached Files:

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Don't even consider what will happen over time. Exchange it ASAP. No sense in keeping a $1700 + computer that came with a chip in it.

3. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Just take it back and get a new one. It will put your mind at ease.

4. MUBiomed thread starter macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

As I said in a different thread, I can already see Best Buy girl's face when I tell her why I want another one...:(

5. frunk macrumors member

Who cares about what she thinks. You're a BioMed student who can dish out ~2000 on a new computer, she's a cashier. She's obligated to take your return, especially with a chip in aluminium.

6. MUBiomed thread starter macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

Haha I definitely dont care to return it...no one understands the OCD nature of a new MBP owner though :D

7. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

I got a question. I know it's off-topic, but oh well...

Is there a difference between medical and biomedical at MU (I guess that's your school?). I figured medical school pretty much was biomedical.

8. MUBiomed thread starter macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

Depends on which MU you are talking about as there are several. I was a Biomedical Major in Undergrad (got a B.S. in Cellular/Molecular Biology) and now I am a medical student (to be a Doctor M.D.) so yes there is a difference. Some schools also have a graduate school Biomedical degree which is a M.S. in Biology focused on medical research which is also a different route.

9. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I think it has to do with degrees/research

Biomedical might be for graduate-level medicine, while medical would be for actually becoming a doctor.

I really don't know though, just taking a guess.

10. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Yeah, you should totally exchange it, that's unacceptable

11. applejobs macrumors newbie

I love how ocd everyone here is. It makes me feel normal. Just keep it bro, it's a tiny spec on a sexy beast. Are you going to turn down eva mendes because she has a mole?
    [​IMG]

12. deeesea macrumors 6502

Wow, that means I must have good game. Hell yeah I'll turn down Eva Mendes then. lol get me another woman just as good :p

13. BigWalt macrumors regular

BigWalt

Def take it back! no telling how hard it was dropped to damage it while still in its box. unless the damage was done by apple durring the time it was being put together like the stripped screw in the ifixit MBP tear down... ill be looking my new MBP with a hawkeye soon as i get it.

14. ramo macrumors member

I would have already returned it....

IMO unacceptable for the cost of this computer.

15. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    Lol, when would you even see that chip? Its on the edge of the outside of the lid.

... it's going to get chipped eventually.

16. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

whatever floats your boat I say....

this is not a glass window - a chip won't leave a crack along the way! But hey, you paid alot for the laptop and you can return within 14 days. This one is pure OCD judging from the MACRO shot required to even see the damage :rolleyes:

17. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Not necessarily. My nearly 2.5 year old first gen unibody is unblemished.

18. borisiii, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

borisiii macrumors 6502

I have a similar dent on my 2008 aluminium MacBook. Mine was a BTO with upgraded RAM and iWork installed so I guess whoever carried out the work dropped something on it. I'm normally really OCD when it comes to my stuff but the funny thing is, because the damage wasn't done by me, it never really bothered me - it's only when I drop/damage something myself, and then dwell on how stupid I was and what I could have done to prevent it, that it gets to me. You are completely entitled to a swap if it bothers you, but I would decide how much you really notice it. My MacBook is still pretty much pristine, and this mark just adds to the individuality of my computer...

And in answer to your question, it hasn't got any worse - or changed at all - since the day I got it.

Attached Files:

19. lesyork, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

lesyork macrumors member

Yes, I'd return it and wait for the 2012 redesign, personally.

20. jncoanalog macrumors member

Of course not, I'd take her even faster because she has that mole :D As well as i love my 13" MBP 1000 times more since I accidently chiped it next to the superdrive, thats what makes it MY mbp and not someone else's boring machine! As well as the mole on Eva Mendes is what gives her personality and sets her apart from all the other beautiful girls in hollywood ;)

21. sandylp macrumors regular

sandylp

NO, don't keep it! When you eventually replace it and sell it, you want it to be in as pristine condition as possible. I've had mine for 2.5 years and there's not a chip or scratch on it. I hate to return things, too, but it should at least start out in perfect condition.

22. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Maybe a doctor or two can prescribe some medication for that ego of yours.

23. superego macrumors member

Like many have already suggested here, return it. If anything, you should be angry at Apple, because they try to sell you subpar quality at full price. It's Apple's poor quality control that allows these dented or chipped laptops to reach the customers. If people let them get away with faults like these, they will never improve their QC, because customers accept second grade quality even though the prices are very high.

24. MUBiomed thread starter macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

I had already started loading some files on it while trying to decide what to do and eventually came to the decision to return it. I called Best Buy and asked them if we could just swap my HDD into the new one to save myself the trouble of recopying files but of course they are not authorized to do that. I am tempted to go buy another one, put my HDD in it, and return the chipped one with the factory HDD in it from the new one. If I don't do it this way I will feel obligated to wipe this one's HDD and that will take ages on a 5400 drive.....:mad: