Small collection on Mac, large on Nas?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Otto J, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Otto J macrumors member

The situation: I have a Macbook Air, and a lot of lossless music on my NAS. My Air won't hold all the music, but I do want some of it to carry around. How exactly do I do this? I want to be able to change what to have on the Air when I feel like it, so I'm not really into just moving some of the library to the Air - and other players are also accessing the NAS, so everything has to be at both places. Am I missing something obvious - I can't quite get my head around what the most efficient way of doing this is... Any input is appreciated.

2. MacMadHatter macrumors newbie

MacMadHatter

We used a NAS for quite awhile until this latest release of iTunes made it where we copy from each other and what one buys the other automatically gets.

Several things you can do.

Nas that supports acting as an iTunes server - limitation here is that it would only work locally.

You copy what you want onto your Mac and leave the originals on the NAS, here you would want to use some sort of playlist switcher software. There's some good suggestions if you google iTunes playlist management.