Small cosmetic mark on my New Canon 70D? This normal or exchange for new one?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by KimJonNumberUn, Feb 23, 2014.

1. KimJonNumberUn macrumors regular

I picked upa brand new canon 70D and theirs a small mark on it. just curious if its normal or a comsetic issue from manufacturing. i spent 1500 for this and kit lens 18-135 so just being a bit OCD about this new "investment"

if its normal, cool but if not, i have the 14 day return exchange thing

Attached Files:

2. minnieoi macrumors newbie

Small cosmetic mark on my New Canon 70D? This normal or exchange for new one?

Yeh. send it back and get a Nikon .LOL !

3. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

take it back

you can ding it all by yourself eventually

4. KimJonNumberUn thread starter macrumors regular

not sure if your making fun of me or actually suggesting to return it :confused::confused:

5. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

If if bothers you take it back. I'd be more concerned about having it lie on its back with no lens or cover over the sensor. That's just asking for trouble. Always keep the body pointing downwards when nothing is attached and switched off of course.

6. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

I was about to edit my post to include at the beginning : if it bothers you..

both you & AFB got me to the chase though

7. KimJonNumberUn thread starter macrumors regular

i took the lens off for a quick pic for like 4 seconds and put it back, its not going to hurt. if ug ot a brand new 70D and saw this u would take it back as well?

8. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Four seconds is long enough for a lot of dust. I'd test the camera with the lens for front/back focus and bad pixels, those are much, much more likely to affect the outcome of it's use than a smallish spot that won't affect it's performance one iota. If you exchange it, what if the newer one has bad pixels or a focus issue?

Paul

9. KimJonNumberUn thread starter macrumors regular

is that common with canons and nikons for that to occur with dead pixels and such?

10. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Not common, but it happens. Focus issues are often the lens, though some newer bodies support per-lens focus adjustment. The point is that the picture taking stuff is what you really should worry about, not a small spot on the outside that doesn't affect anything other than your ability to identify your camera.

Paul

11. KimJonNumberUn thread starter macrumors regular

1500 dollar camera though, you expect it to be flawless inside out

12. Miltz macrumors 6502

It doesn't look bad in the picture. As long you know it was brand you and never used by someone else it's fine. If you actually use the camera you'll mark it up anyway.

13. Parkin Pig macrumors 6502a

Parkin Pig

You could pop back to the shop and express your concern.
    Emphasise that you bought a brand new camera because you like to keep your equipment pristine, therefore you like it to be pristine from the start.
    They may offer a partial refund, store credit, accessory or whatever, or they may ask you how you'd like them to deal with it.
    Make sure you know what you consider to be an acceptable solution before you go to the store, or you may end up regretting the agreed solution.

If it is bothering you, you need to contact the store ASAP, to reduce any suspicion that you may have caused it yourself.

It's difficult to tell from the photo, but does it look like a manufacturing flaw, or a scratch. If it's a manufacturing flaw (i.e. not correctly painted), then I would look at it as a unique indication that it's 'your' camera. If it's a scratch, then I would wonder how that happened to a brand new camera.

For what it's worth, I would just live with it if there are absolutely no other issues with it, but ultimately it's your call. Just act swiftly if you want to do something about it.

14. MCH-1138 macrumors 6502

MCH-1138

It's not like the body has a crack in it or there is scratch in the LCD. Are you 100% sure the mark is not from the first (or subsequent) time you installed or removed the lens?

Frankly, the mark in the photo seems barely noticeable to me. But like others have said, if it really bothers you -- and it sounds like it does -- then go ahead and see if you can exchange it.

I think that's unnecessary though, considering that it seems to be very minor, but I am of course not the one who paid $1,500 for for the camera. Depending on where you purchased it from, you may want to consider whether returning it for such a minor imperfection that does not impact the performance would negatively affect any ongoing business or support relationship, since they won't be able to resell it as new. (Obviously, this impacts you more if you purchased it from a local camera shop than, say, Amazon.)

And as compuwar noted, there is always the risk (however small) that whatever you exchange it for ends up having its own issues.

15. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

For myself, I apply three considerations:

Risk of manufacturing defects. If the damage looks like something that happened at the factory, there may be other problems.

Risk of returns. If the damage looks like something some other customer did before returning it to the store, there may be other problems.

Risk of more. If you're going to be using it in an even mildly rough way, it will likely get more such marks anyway. But if you keep it indoors for next 3 years keeping in mint, you wont be able to take it out of the bad without being reminded that its not your mark.

16. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I would check and make sure there weren't any photos taken with it. But then again they sometimes test the camera before shipping so you might have some photos taken before your ownership. Check the EXIF

2. I wouldn't worry about it.

17. KimJonNumberUn thread starter macrumors regular

its from future shop (essentially best buy) they ahve a 14 day return exhcnage policy, i was leaning towards ane xchange since i do really love this camera! if i really wanted to i could get a full refund since its under that policy but that wouldnt really help me since i wouldnt have a camera. but as paul noted, could exchange for a new one with some pixel issue he mentioned :confused:

its brand new, packaging everything was that way. not a mark on the LCd screen or anything when i opened it (liek fingerprints or obvious signs or wear)

i was originally down for exhcanging but as u noted, camera works fine and not sure if i want to risk a another 70D with pixel issues. most photogrpahers i see look like they have perfect condition cameras lol.

if u spent 1500 and saw this, would u make a move if you were in my position?

so your saying this mark could lead to other problems? and no its brand new neever used.

18. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I would check the camera for other faults first and then decide. It really depends how much it bothers you. The fact that you started a thread about it means it's bothering you.
    I to like my stuff to be prestine. However a camera is a tool and you will get wear and tear marks as you use it.

19. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

no matter how much feedback you accumulate, you will have to make a decision sooner or later.

20. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

What if the OP wants to sell it in the future? Would it affect the resale value or the desirability of the camera?

21. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

No. I'm saying the mark may be indicative of something the camera has been through that may lead to other problems.

In all likelihood, the camera is a 100% functional and even if it's 80%, you would likely find out during the warranty period.

The key question here isn't the camera, it's you. Does this bother you so much that it will interfere with your use and enjoyment of the unit?

22. MCH-1138 macrumors 6502

MCH-1138

No, I wouldn't. To me, it seems completely superficial and is barely noticeable. Frankly, if I were the retailer and you returned it to me, I would be tempted to roll my eyes and ask, "Seriously?"

But it doesn't really matter what I would do. As many others have already noted, the question is how much it is going to bother you.

23. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

A small mark is a nightmare scenario. It must be tempting to carry on fretting about the camera, rather than, say, shooting some pictures with it...

24. Oracle1729 macrumors 6502a

And in 5 years it will be a $2 paperweight. If you're so worried about not marking the camera that you're afraid to use it, you're doing it wrong. The camera is only worth the pictures you take with it.

A barely visible mark on a $1500 camera is not worth worrying about. For a given street price, do you prefer Canon put more of the money into making the electronics flawless or the plastic housing flawless, or raise the price because they're going to make their money no matter what?

25. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

A quick Google search turns up lots of pictures with a similar mark. Some look just like yours, some are a complete square and some are different corners from said square.

If you don't like a mark that looks like a '7' you can try returning it until you get a 'L' instead. ;)