small crumblike object fell into slots where the screen joins with keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sossity, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

A small crumb like object feel in these slots, it is behind the black curving plastic where the bottom half with the keyboard meets with the screen when the laptop is open. I peered down behind the black curve or strip with a flashlight, & see it, but I cannot get to it. Will this cause problems? are those squarelike slots the vents? how is one supposed to clean or keep dust or other small objects that may inevitably fall down there?

I have my laptop setup on a desk, & have been using an old sheet as a dustcover, I place it over the mac when it is not on/in use.

I dont have much experience with mac hardware I have had mine since June 2010, this is my first mac computer, so a suggestion to take it apart sounds a bit too scary for me now & dont want to risk damage doing so.

2. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

You`ll be fine, don`t worry about it.
    Despite my best efforts I have a small piece of Pringle stuck in my MBP somewhere, no problems.

3. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

If it were me, and I could see it, I would want to try to get it out in a non-dangerous way.

A few ideas:

1) Is the opening small enough to get anything into it safely, like a toothpick? If so maybe you could smear a tiny amount of glue-stick glue onto the tip of the toothpick and gently reach in and "grab" the crumb.

2) Can you turn the MBP over and gently tap it to try to make the crumb fall out?

3) What about vacuuming it out? Maybe use one of those small car detailing vacuum nozzles or make your own smaller nozzle by taping something to the vacuum hose.

4) Be your own vacuum and suck it out with a straw (presuming it's not cyanide ;) )

4. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

I just lost a caraway seed down the side of my enter key.

Come on, updates! (So I don't have to worry about it sprouting!)

5. chaoticbear macrumors 6502

A crumb-like object, you say? Hmm... I guess it depends on whether or not it's a crumb! ;)

6. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Unless it`s a crumb of depleted uranium it`s not going to kill your MBP. :)