Small "dent" on back of MBP 2016 - fix myself?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dlomholt, Jul 25, 2017.

1. dlomholt macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I purchased my MBP 2016 model at the beginning of the year, and besides the known issues with it, I'm very happy with it. Unfortunately I dropped my bag the other day with the MacBook Pro in it (in a case), however it still damaged the corner of the computer sadly.. It is not a big damage, however I'm afraid Apple would charge me a ridiculous price for fixing this, knowing them myself.

I have attached a photo below and would like to hear you opinion - is this something I should try and fix myself? I would probably void my warranty, from what I can read online - or should I try and bring it into a store and see what they would charge? I think they might still charge me for the diagnostic of it..

I've attached a photo below of the damage.

I still need to get my issue fixed with the noises from it (as seen in this video).

I'd appreciate your input on this, as I'm a bit unsure what to do at the moment :)

[​IMG]

2. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    Finding used 2016 top cases is the bigger issue. After that it's a simple fix, but be wary with the display cables.

3. dlomholt thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, would it be needed to replace the whole top case for this dent?

4. jerryk macrumors 68040

I doubt you will be able to push it or hammer it out if that is what you are thinking. If it is not effecting performance you might just leave it.

5. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Advice for future: Get 3rd party accidental damage insurance. This helped when my bag broke and dented my old 2012 cMBP. This is the painfully annoying downside of unibody: There is no fix. Apple is going to have to charge you for an expensive new bottom case, and the labor to take the whole thing apart and put it back together.

6. dlomholt thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh my goodness, I don't want to imagine how much that would cost.
    But yeah, for the future I will definitely get an insurance for that!
    It's not affecting performance, however I probably won't be able to get the other issues fixed unless I pay for the accidental damage first.

Thanks for the answers guys!

7. vjobs macrumors regular

You would need a whole new top case assembly. Approximately $500.

As I guess it doesn't affect performance, I would just leave it. Trying to hammer it back probably makes damage worse and a lot more visible.

8. KGB7 macrumors 6502a

KGB7

Check on eBay for replacement parts. Generally cheaper than buying from apple.

9. Sterkenburg macrumors regular

Had a very similar accident with a 2009 MBP several years ago. Unfortunately, there is no way you can fix that kind of cosmetic damage without replacing the whole top case. Any attempt at "repairing" it will make it look even worse.

Try to search for the spare part online (but it might not be easy to find one a 2016 model), otherwise you'll just have to live with it.

10. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

The only way to 'repair' that would be to remove the casing and attempt to push it (Using large flat surface), ideally using a jig. It's metal though so it's not going to settle easily, and would need over stretching in order to conform to a shape. It is possible, but far more likely you'd make it worse by introducing a deliberate stress line through bending a corner, this may or may not be highly visible. So chances are you'd make it worse than it currently is, just since you're on here asking for advice I'm guessing you don't do this thing often, so your first attempt could be very expensive...

As others have suggested the best thing to do is leave it. Either replace the shell when one comes around, or put an aftermarket case on it. If it's recently happened your eyes will be drawn to it as a serious defect, but once you've lived with it for a few weeks you'll barely notice it.

11. LarryJoe33 macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

Have you at least tried taking the bottom off and see what is rattling inside? Is something broken off? Is it just the bottom panel rattling because of the side dent? I bet if you take the bottom off and check it out you may be able to create a homemade solution for the rattle - double sided tape, insulation, rubber strip, etc. To the best of my knowledge you won't void the warranty by taking the bottom off.

12. vjobs macrumors regular

If you insist on getting it fixed with Apple, you may better sell your MacBook Pro, add the $500 out of your own pocket and buy the latest 2017 model. Will probably cost you about the same, but upgrades you to better and newer hardware.