Small dent on my new MBP, where to get it fixed.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PXL Creations, Aug 1, 2010.

1. PXL Creations macrumors member

Hi everyone, just got my new MBP (works great) but I accidentally got a dent on it. You see, I was setting my iPhone down and it slipped out of my hand and hit my MBP. It made two little dents near the bottom:

[​IMG]

As you can see, it's not big and the second one is hardly noticeable (especially in the pictures) however I would like to get it fixed, and then hopefully prevent another dent.

I was planning on getting this case to protect the laptop/cover up the dent:

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/hardshell-case-cl57186m/5

However I would still like to eventually get it fixed for not too much. I found a case replacement but it's expensive (I was told I need a whole casing change):

http://www.myservice.com/macbookpro.html

Other than that, I thought about getting accidental insurance from either SafeWare or Worth Ave Group but since the accident already happened, would I still be able to submit a claim and get it fixed for free? My quotes were about $100-$200 for each site, not too bad if I could get it replaced and any other damage that would happen to it.

If anyone knows of a better way or cheaper way to get my MBP fixed, please comment. Thanks.

2. TaylorJ macrumors regular

When did you get it?

Within hours of bringing mine home, I was opening up the charger from its plastic and it slipped out and made a tiny dent. It was very, very, VERY tiny, but I couldnt stand it. I debated whether or not to bring it back, I did and they took it back with no questions. (It wasnt apple, but same policy)

Has it been 14 days yet?

3. kolax macrumors G3

Yeah.. changing the top casing (the screen hood) isn't a simple job. The cost of the top hood probably will only be around $200, then you have the labour.

Why don't you visit your local Apple Store or call up AppleCare?

Also, the dents aren't that big a deal though I can see why you'd want it fixed.

4. PXL Creations thread starter macrumors member

I've had it in my possession for 12 days now, bought it 19 days ago. I have apple care, but they don't care about my accidents.

I will call up AppleCare when I get home later today, any suggestions on what to say?

And yeah, it just pisses me off knowing it's got a dent on it.

5. chuckflip53 macrumors regular

A dent on a Mercedes/BMW would be equally devastating

6. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

change your view of the dents ...

Hey, don't worry about it!

It's a laptop, your road warrior machine, a few dents, scratches, scuff's show's it's getting used out there.

I've seen a few "broken in" MBP's and a few iphones it's amazing the beating they'll take, not that I ever want to purposefully scratch or dent mine but if it happens, that's cool .... It takes own it's on character, like a well broken in leather wallet, messenger or backpack :D

7. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

+1, I personally wouldn't worry about it. If you are that OCD about it, you're probably going to have to pay really more than it's worth your time. IMO

8. PXL Creations thread starter macrumors member

Called AppleCare, nothing they can do. Ah well, I'll just get the case for it.

9. bobbytomorow macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

+1

totally have the same outlook on mobile products, they are going to get scuffed, its the nature of being mobile, its just a tool, not human baby :)

10. curlefry macrumors newbie

curlefry

Agreed! I'm sure lots of hard work was a part of getting your MBP, PXL Creations, but it's okay if you look past minor dents like that. If it's so dented that your MBP can't sit flat...then maybe, yes, you should be OCD about it. xD You're fine for now. :)

11. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

+1

12. PXL Creations thread starter macrumors member

I don't have OCD, but it would help if the MacRumors logo at the top was just moved 5 more pixels to the right. :D

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I suggest duct tape or a bumper sticker complaining about those with OCD. ;)

14. curlefry macrumors newbie

curlefry

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE! Lol.