Small developer bullied off the iPhone store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Castle, Mar 16, 2009.

1. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I am curious as to what this 'puzzle' is exactly. If you could share some screen shots, I think it would show what is up with it.

TEG

2. Castle thread starter macrumors newbie

It was types of rebus puzzles. There is more information about the type of puzzle here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebus

I created each puzzle myself, using Photoshop and my brain, but inevitably there would be some similarity to some of theirs. They are like riddles - there is only so many ways you can say the same thing.

I'm a teacher (the app was originally made to be used for revision apps for my pupils, so the development wasn't totally wasted) so I have no money to fight it. I completely accept they own the <redacted> brand, but not, by any account, the type of puzzle.

Similar puzzles can be found here: http://www.puzzlesurfer.com/

3. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

4. Castle thread starter macrumors newbie

They're demanding I remove my freeware Mac game too, so I doubt that would keep the legal hounds at bay :p

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I would have asked for more information before complying. They claim 301 puzzles as being identical to their own. Did they provide you with exhibits demonstrating said claims?

6. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Ask them to produce their copyright before you take your apps down.

I didn't know that one could copyright something that's existed for hundreds of years.

Note to self: boycott Vista Publishing.

7. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

They have no right to stop you from putting it on Cydia, or anywhere else (except the App Store and iTunes) for that matter. All they can do is ask.

If all the developers that have been rejected just give in Apple will think they have won. Developers should make a stand and put their rejected apps on the Cydia store. That's what it's their for, rejected Apps.

8. Castle thread starter macrumors newbie

Being as I have no money (only student debt), even hiring a lawyer would be out of my price range. I've removed the apps and will seek (free) legal advice. I'm fairly confident I could win, but really don't have any motivation to fight (other than that of <redacted>). I have $0 from the app, and $0 from the iPhone game. Even one conversation with paid legal counsel would cost much more.

And I am confident they'd pursue me to the Cydia store, too. It's not Apple that's complaining, it's the publishers.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, and sue. Which seems to be something the O.P. wants to avoid. (I know...crazy, huh?)

10. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

I don't see how they can sue him for making his own app :confused:

11. Cubsfan macrumors member

Maybe talk to the EFF. They may at least be able to give you some good advice.

12. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

find a lawyer that if they win they get paid and if u lose they don't.

13. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Just because you make something yourself doesn't mean it doesn't (potentially) violate somebody else's copyright.

14. Castle thread starter macrumors newbie

They are claiming they own the copyright to this:

<redacted>

Solution: Three wise men

Or this:

<redacted>

Solution: You're under arrest.

If they don't provide evidence they own the copyrights I'll put it back up. If they do, there's sod all I can do about it.

15. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Give the EFF a call. This is their type of thing. If not anything else, they can tell you what your legal recourse is. You might even get someone to volunteer their time.

www.eff.org

16. Castle thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll look into contacting EFF, but I highly doubt they'd be interested. There's no real money involved. They'd no doubt sue me for thousands, but the reality is that this app hasn't even made back the $99 I paid to join the program. That's not a big concern to me since, as I mentioned earlier, I made the app originally to serve up GCSE revision questions for my pupils, but somehow I doubt <redacted>.

I just want people to know that they <redacted>

17. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Man, that is terrible!! This appears to be really egregious copyright abuse.

BTW, I had a hard time finding their website, but it appears that they are preparing an iPhone application called "dingbats"... seems to me like they themselves are infringing on the font of the same name.

http://www.dingbats.net/

I hope you find a way to fight this. My biggest gripe about the US legal system is the difficulty in recouping legal fees when you win your defense of a suit.

18. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If it copies other games, sure they can. You think you could write your own Mario Brothers and not get sued by Nintendo?

To clarify, it sounds to me like this poster didn't do anything wrong, but it's sure possible to get sued, even if he is legally correct. "Winning" in court can still mean "losing" a lot of money.

19. Castle thread starter macrumors newbie

<redacted>

20. Vanilla Cocoa macrumors member

I would definitely make sure they provide the names of the actual puzzles they've got a problem with. Also, verify that they own the copyright/trademark and/or are authorized to act on behalf of the person/company that does own it.

21. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Kind of like fighting a speeding ticket u can pay the 150.00 and go on, or pay 600.00 and win.

22. Castle thread starter macrumors newbie

23. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Due to their lack of response, that's what I would do.

24. Castle thread starter macrumors newbie

I have been requested to retract any libelous comments made in this thread. I do not believe I made any, but have retracted any made that could possibly be construed to be so.