Small Ding in Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MBPro825, Oct 31, 2009.

1. MBPro825 macrumors member

I put a small ding in my macbook pro just 5 minutes ago (accidently hit the side of it on printer.) It isn't really a scratch, it just rubbed the exterior silver color off. I was wondering if there was any paint that matched the Metallic Silver of Macbook Pro Unibody for touchups?

2. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure how you could've possibly rubbed the silver color off, since what you're seeing is a clear annodized coat over the silver aluminum body.

Maybe you scuffed it and some color transferred?

3. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I'm not sure of the exact nature of Apple's manufacturing process when it comes to anodised aluminium, but I too find that substantial scratches take off the top coat to reveal a sort of darker, almost black layer.

My old MacBook Pro (1,1) had a horrible problem where the bottom of the screen bezel (below the iSight) would rub against the casing in front of the trackpad button when the lid was closed... This resulted in the most horrific scuff marks (permanent) where the two sheets of aluminium had been rubbing.

That's the only bad thing about these aluminium bodies, in my opinion. They look and feel great, but they dent and scratch unbelievably easily!
    :mad:

4. Yesterday macrumors member

i think the aluminum has a powder coat that's being scratched easily.