Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
hey

I've been resisting asking this. But now I want to know if anyone else is having the same problem. I have Firefox 2.0 running and it's great, but after around 20 minutes of not really being used a lot, I will no longer be able to type in search fields. Like if I tried to search this thread in the search box, i'll click in the box to type but nada no text appears. Copy the URL, quit FF, restart it, paste URL, I can type fine until it happens again.

Am I alone on this one?

PPC
G5 PM current Tiger

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Not had that happen... one tip though: In FF2 preferences -> Main -> Startup you can tell FF to "Show my windows and tabs from last time" when Firefox starts (aka restore session). Then you don't need to copy and paste the URL, just restart Firefox**... :)

** which I, too, need to do every now and then, just not for the specific reasons you gave...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I haven't seen it but I'm running a nightly build.

If you're using extensions or themes that weren't part of the original installation, have you tried disabling all of them?

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
it happens here to me too,
are u using the optimized build called bonecho? does your problem happen after u have a pop-up?

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
The issue I have had with the new Firefox is displaying pictures on google.com/img I search "macintosh" and no pictures are displayed. :confused:

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
it happens here to me too,
are u using the optimized build called bonecho? does your problem happen after u have a pop-up?

interesting

i was using the bonecho, but now I'm using just the standard 2.0 release.

To above posters, "after pop-ups?" hmmm, maybe, not sure. I'll check.

I do have themes, and that was the first thing I thought of, so I disabled them right away. But my issue of no text in search fields still happens. I could trash the themes completely and see if that helps.

It just seems like if I go away from FF for a bit, and come back, I can no longer type. so strange. I really like FF, but I'm getting herded back to Safari more and more....

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Not had that happen... one tip though: In FF2 preferences -> Main -> Startup you can tell FF to "Show my windows and tabs from last time" when Firefox starts (aka restore session). Then you don't need to copy and paste the URL, just restart Firefox**... :)

** which I, too, need to do every now and then, just not for the specific reasons you gave...

Great tip

many thanks :)

The issue I have had with the new Firefox is displaying pictures on google.com/img I search "macintosh" and no pictures are displayed. :confused:

nope, just tried and got a ton of related images

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
interesting

i was using the bonecho, but now I'm using just the standard 2.0 release.

To above posters, "after pop-ups?" hmmm, maybe, not sure. I'll check.

I do have themes, and that was the first thing I thought of, so I disabled them right away. But my issue of no text in search fields still happens. I could trash the themes completely and see if that helps.

It just seems like if I go away from FF for a bit, and come back, I can no longer type. so strange. I really like FF, but I'm getting herded back to Safari more and more....

As I've told other people, there seems to be some data corruption from profiles created in Firefox versions 1.0 - 1.5 so, saving the bookmarks and deleting your profile folder would probably help.

They're still producing nightly builds for 2.0.0.1 so I'm not sure when they expect it to be released. It might be a relief for a lot of people but obviously, they put out a release with some bugs in it.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
As I've told other people, there seems to be some data corruption from profiles created in Firefox versions 1.0 - 1.5 so, saving the bookmarks and deleting your profile folder would probably help.

They're still producing nightly builds for 2.0.0.1 so I'm not sure when they expect it to be released. It might be a relief for a lot of people but obviously, they put out a release with some bugs in it.

Hmmm interesting. Where would I find my FF profile folder ?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Hmmm interesting. Where would I find my FF profile folder ?

You'll find it under your home folder at Library/Application Support/Firefox.

It's odd but I was having too many crashes with version 1.5.x and deleted the folder and the experience has been good ever since, enhanced greatly with version 2.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
I've had the same problem as the OP, and I can't troubleshoot it all. It seems so random, and I just have to restart and go from there.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
It's odd but I was having too many crashes with version 1.5.x and deleted the folder and the experience has been good ever since, enhanced greatly with version 2.
Hmmm... just tried this tip... backed up, deleted everything, copied my search engines and bookmarks back and reinstalled all extensions (add-ons) from scratch and now Firefox feels a lot - wait for it - snappier... it really does... :)

Thanks... :cool:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Hmmm... just tried this tip... backed up, deleted everything, copied my search engines and bookmarks back and reinstalled all extensions (add-ons) from scratch and now Firefox feels a lot - wait for it - snappier... it really does... :)

Thanks... :cool:

I'm sure it does. That's part of the thing of clean up. They've changed their ways and things are better now but leftover rubbish is an issue and they probably didn't notice it way back when and don't know how to combat it now.

I'm glad you benefited from my experience with it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.