Small footprint open bezel folio - recommendations?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by batman75, Mar 21, 2012.

1. batman75 macrumors 6502

I want an open bezel small footprint case which has both cinema and typing positions. Doesn't need multiple angles. Cinema cases won't work because the footprint is too big.

My current case is the Melkco slim but the magnets don't work with the new iPad. Their new iPad model has a bezel covering, so that's a new go.

So far, only options I have seen are:
    Scosche IQ P2 (okay, but made of plastic)
    Incipio Lexington (okay but I prefer magnet closure and premium leather)

Has anyone seen something like this made from Premium Leather?

[​IMG]

2. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

I've been eyeing the Case Mate Tuxedo.

Super small footprint, cool sticky pad that holds iPad.. it looks pretty cool.

3. batman75 thread starter macrumors 6502

That sticky pad worries me. If you swing the iPad while holding the cover, will it fall off? Also what about edge protection?

4. laurenr macrumors 6502a

I was also looking for cases with the above description. I found two that look really great, although one is not in leather:

I love the form factor of this one; the top cover has the 4 folds, like the Apple smart cover, which I think would be more stable than just the 3-fold case I mention next. However, this case is not in leather, but does get great reviews on Amazon for their last version (iPad2) I have placed an order for one, but they have not yet given a release/shipping date; approx. is end of March:

http://www.thejoyfactory.com/product/csa103

This one is in real leather, and looks stunning, but with only 3 folds, I am not certain about its stability when folded. I am told by another member here, that this design could become unfurled quite easily, but cannot confirm, as I have not seen it in person:

http://www.macally.com/en/product/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=421

5. xraytech macrumors 68020

6. batman75 thread starter macrumors 6502

That macally case is synthetic too, so the joy factory one is better.

Casemate looks interesting, but not available in white.

7. gigaguy macrumors 65816

These back shells all copy the iCarer iPad2 case, which has nicer looking leather, but a flimsy leather tongue latch. it's a beaty tho. came in 5 leather colors, red, pink, white, brown, black. I hope they make a 3, and with magnetic close, that'd be the one for me.
    first Yoobao copied the iCarer rubber trimmed back with inlaid leather, now some others.

8. bullrat macrumors member

batman75 I'm looking for open bezel, minimal design, too. Although not being leather is not a deal breaker for me if the features are there. The BodyGuardz folks have a pre-order page up for a folio named Garrison. I emailed them to ask ETA and colors. I really like the way the iPad snaps in (if it really works as shown!) as very minimal. The copy says "made with premium materials" but doesn't mention details yet. The usual photos and video at the link below.

http://www.bodyguardz.com/garrison-premium-folio-case-for-apple-new-ipad.html

laurent I like that SmartSuit3 you listed. It looks like it might snap in also and it has 4 fold cover. The one I listed has that one fold thing where the tab locks into the slot. I've not used one like that before but it "looks" solid in typing mode.

Keep 'em coming...

9. laurenr, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012

laurenr macrumors 6502a

The problem with the tongue flap, is that over time, it loses its shape/firmness,making it awkward to slide through the tab. With many other hard shell backs, one also has to take into consideration the corner design. The example in the pic (blue case) below, can easily pop out if pressure is exerted while holding, eg, during a game:

pic6.jpeg

However, in the design below, (the Joy Factory black case),the hard-shell back completely surrounds the entire perimiter, making it far more secure:
    pic7.jpeg

10. bullrat macrumors member

11. batman75 thread starter macrumors 6502

This looks very good. It doesn't have the more secure edge frame that LaurenR pointed out, however the quality of the materials look top notch.

So far I like the Jison case, the Joy Factory case, and the Tuxedo.

12. Poob Bubes macrumors 6502a

Poob Bubes

Can you guys tell me how sturdy these type cases are in the upright mode? I plan on using this mode the most but I don't want it to topple over when I tap the screen. I'm currently using the Targus Slim and I can't tap the screen very hard at all without it falling.

13. laurenr, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

laurenr macrumors 6502a

From experience, I can tell you that the cases whose cover mimics Apple's, ie, have the four folds, as opposed to the three, will be far more stable. In the examples above, from myself and others, it looks like the Joy Factory Smartsuit 3, or the Jison, should be good options. If you go for the style of the original iPad 1 Apple case - the one that is like a folio, front cover tucking into a flap on the back - it seems to be pretty stable. I have the Yoobao version of this, from my iPad 2, and often use it to watch movies in the upright position. Pic of new version:

casey.jpg

14. batman75 thread starter macrumors 6502

The four fold smart cover style cases are more stable than the iPad 1 style cases in my experience.

I found this surprising, but it has borne out consistently.

15. laurenr macrumors 6502a

My Sister has the iPad 2, and uses the Apple smart cover. By itself, I am not crazy about the design. For my iPad 2 I had the form pictured above, in 2 different cases, the Yoobao and the Chinao Wheat. I also had one made by Rivet, but I have to admit the Yoobao and Chinao cases were the ones I used the most. They just seemed to provide the stability and protection I needed ......I'm a bit of a Klutz:rolleyes: - especially when travelling.

16. TB07-NJ, Mar 22, 2012

TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

What looks nice about the Smartsuit is that it (supposedly) folds completely back on itself perfectly flat and also has additional magnets to hold the cover back when full opened.

Edit: Well, looking at the JoyFactory Smartsuite case again I REALLY don't like the way they treat the areas where the camera, buttons and switches are. They are fully exposed (rather than just a cutout) which leaved an easily damaged corner with no protection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. laurenr macrumors 6502a

As far as mimicing the design of the Apple smart cover, I do think the Joy Factory provides the best functionality. It is essential to me, that the cover can fold back flat, especially when I am reading a book on my iPad. It seems I always end up ordering more than one case to meet different circumstances.:rolleyes:

18. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Look back at the edit of the last message with photo.

19. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

That's what I thought as well but it doesn't show up clearly in the black photo. Looking at the other colors you can see how exposed it really is. Seems they got very lazy and rather than making cutouts which requires accuracy they just took out the whole area.

20. laurenr macrumors 6502a

The edge that is exposed is actually where the charging dock is plugged in, next to the speaker, which is as it should be, with the adjacent corner protected. I actually prefer that the charging port IS exposed. :rolleyes:

Not sure what you mean, because in this picture I see Precise cutouts for the volume, camera, and lock switch - you can see the black frame, and those items protected underneath:

[​IMG]

Am I missing something?

----------

Edit: i am not sure you realize something: the black shiny section is actually part of the shell of the case - it's NOT a cutout. Each item I describe above , camera, volume, etc, are lying BENEATH the shell. What you are seeing is part of the design of the back. It has that black shell into which the softer bronze material is embedded. See what I mean in the picture? Also, if you look at the rear of the blue case above, (post# 9), you will see the shell has a similar feature - a black border sourrounding the interior blue section. Hope that's clear.:)

21. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Wow, I looked at the picture and did not realize that the black area was part of the case.

22. laurenr, Mar 22, 2012

laurenr macrumors 6502a

Easy mistake to make.:) see here:

(excuse my primitive arrows made with Skitch App on my iPad) you can see the openings molded into the case:

[​IMG]

The reason why some Manufacturers do this bi/material design, is because if the leather covers the entire area of the rigid shell, it eventually starts peeling away from the pressure points in the corners. I saw this happen with my Hubby's Zagg Folio on his iPad 2. It's one of the reason why leather-wrapped buttons are not very common - they just don't last unless they are embedded in a type of frame.

Attached Files:

23. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

First the rubber inlay starts to fray after four months. Second my joy factory dented the corner of my iPad 2 because of it's extremely tight fit.

24. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Geez, you are 100% right. I looked at the picture 20 times and did not realize that the black area was part of the case. That makes me like the case again.

Do you know if the cover and back have some sort of protective lining on the INSIDE of the shell? I got one of the Marware cases similar to this one and returned it because there was no protection inside, just the hard material.

25. laurenr macrumors 6502a

Yes, if you look at the gallery pictures, you can see the microfiber that lines the back shell and the front cover.