Small horizontal Fiber/Line underneath iPhone's glass screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JoshGlzBrk, Aug 27, 2009.

1. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

So I have had my iPhone since the 7th of this month. It's a Black 16Gig 3GS, and I just woke up the other day and noticed there is this small but noticeable mark on my iphone's screen. I can't physically feel the mark with my fingernail so I don't believe that it can be a crack or a scratch. Do you have any idea?

Here are pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

That's hilarious that you posted this ... my phone has the exact same thing. I think it just appeared one day too.

3. Goodeye macrumors 6502a

Goodeye

That final closeup it looks like you have a screen protector, and I would say thats a air bubble but I assume you do not do you?

4. JoshGlzBrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

I actually don't have a screen protector. I just use a black silicone slide in case.

5. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

No screen protector on mine.

Though I should point out, that this under-the-glass scratch appears on the one corner that slightly recessed on my phone.

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

+1 I was going to say that, but figured that can't be it, right? If you do have a screen protector, it'll need to come off to diagnose the problem.

7. JoshGlzBrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

I have no protective screen what-so-ever. It's a perfectly naked screen. lol

Would I have any luck getting a replacement at the apple store. I was told this may be a triplex layer separation, since I cannot feel the mark even with a pin.

8. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I'm not taking mine back for this.

I dunno man ... I've had my share of bum units, and this one's been pretty good to me. No need to take any extra chances. For me, anyhow.

9. brn2prgrm macrumors member

This can be caused by a small separation between the glass of the screen and the oleophobic coating applied to the new iPhones. Unless it somehow hinders your usage it shouldn't be a problem.

10. JoshGlzBrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Well the thing is I just don't want it to grow.

11. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

On a 3G, though ... ?

12. JoshGlzBrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

No, It's a 16Gig Black 3GS. I got it on the 7th of this month.

13. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Ah, my phone which also has this is a 3G.

14. JoshGlzBrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

So If I took it to an Apple store, do you think they would replace it since it's an internal problem?

15. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

They're generally pretty lenient, so ... maybe. I'm not sure since it's "cosmetic" and doesn't affect usage of the product directly (I imagine it'd be a different story if this mark was right in the middle of the screen).

It's worth going though, and checking with them. If you're really serious about getting exchange, fine tooth comb your phone for a bit and look for a few other problems.

16. JoshGlzBrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Maybe the fact that it's under the screen and not under my control they might do something? Because it literally appeared out of no where. I just worry about it getting bigger.

17. JoshGlzBrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

If I do get a replacement will it be a refurb? Or have 3gs's not been out long enough?

18. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

The Apple Store will replace the display. In my experience, they don't do a very good job. You might get a refurbished at this point depending on the stock if they do decide to replace it, but it will probably be a brand new replacement.

19. JoshGlzBrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Hey, just letting everyone know that I took my iPhone to the Apple Store, and they said were first talking about how it's a cosmetic issue and that they don't cover this, but then the nice Apple Girl let her supervisor take a look and they confirmed it was an internal issue, and they replaced my screen for free.

:) Very happy.