Small knick in corner of Macbook Pro 15 in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chrissj, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Chrissj macrumors newbie

Its on the screen cover and I noticed it the second day I had it. I'm pretty sure that it must have been there from the beginning since I was very delicate with it from the beginning.

I'm looking for recommendations on wether to exchange it in the 14 days (is that easy to do). It's the 2.8 model. It s pretty small but can catch light in and be more pronounced that way.

I got the highest end model, do I deserve a scratch free case?

Also, the display seems to be very good. No dead pixels and no easy bleeding that I can see coming from the bottom of the screen. Am I rare to be lucky in that regard or would I probably get the same result from a replacement? I was looking at one of the laptops in the retail store and definitely saw some bleeding from the bottom while looking at a white website.

I purchased it from an apple store btw, not online.

2. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

This more common than it should be. I've seen several unibody with exactly what you describe, including one of the two that I currently own.

On the one hand, you shouldn't have to live with any cosmetic issue right out of the box, but Apple isn't keen on replacing for purely cosmetic problems when they are small. (I've tried. YMMV.) On the other hand, I've personally had so many more serious issues with Apple notebooks that if I get one (like the one I'm using to type this) that has no screen issues or problems with the SuperDrive or ports---in other words, works perfectly but has some small cosmetic issue, I just let it be.

3. captain-rossco macrumors member

4. Sleepy Dog macrumors member

I have the same problem on the screen cover of my 13" MBP. I did contemplate returning it, but decided against it because I may get a replacement that had other more serious defects i.e dead pixels, poor quality screen etc.

5. RetepNamenots macrumors 6502

I would, personally. You've spent a few thousand on it, it ought to be perfect!

6. Chrissj thread starter macrumors newbie

Xpovos, you say that YMMV. Does that mean they can refuse a replacement within the 14 days? Also, does it have to be to the same apple retail store?

7. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

They can't refuse to give you your money back, but they can demand the 10% restocking fee since the box has been opened if they decide that your issue doesn't warrant a replacement. I say YMMV because it really all depends on the particular Genius and/or store manager you speak with. I've personally gotten a free replacement for a single dead pixel before, but I've also been refused replacement for a MacBook Air that had screen lines, a bent screen bezel, a nick in the aluminum, a slightly warped case, and a trackpad that only worked intermittently. (Of course it worked fine at the Genius bar!) No matter how hard I argued on that one, they refused on the grounds that they couldn't reproduce the trackpad issue and the other issues were purely cosmetic. These two situations were same store, different managers.

8. thecheda macrumors 6502

Expensive

An expensive computer as the Macbook Pro should NOT have a ding on it on arrival. Take it back and demand a replacement. I know it sounds trivial, but $2,000 just went out the window

9. Tokend macrumors newbie

Apparently,

with a "small knick" in the corner, you must have accidentally ordered the NBA MBP.

10. Chrissj thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn, I actually googled nick to make sure I spelled it right but messed up when creating the thread title. At least most people understood me. I'm definitely considering doing it especially if I can swap the printer that I picked up for a cheaper one. I didn't open it yet and they said I could downgrade within the 14 days. They were out of stock on the 100 dollar printer when I went there.

I'm kinda unsure about how successful I would be since I guess I have to plead that I purchased it for the looks. I wouldn't pay a 10% restocking fee to get it fixed. A couple days ago I did test just to see if I could have accidentally caused the damage and it seems like it had to be fairly substantial to cause that amount of damage. Hopefully it will help that I did by the most expensive 15 in. One of the reasons I went with the stock model was I heard it was helpful as far as getting things replaced.

11. bobsaget611 macrumors member

i would definitely take it back, it this was my laptop. little things like that bug me to death as stupid and insignificant as they may be.

and they really don't have a right to charge you the restocking fee as it is a problem that came with the computer that shouldn't have been there, especially since its just a few days since you bought it.

12. johnnj macrumors 6502a

Mine (March 09 2.66 15UMBP) has the same nick on the lid corner.

Didn't bother me enough to bring it back, though.

John