Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
i have a powerbook as my main computer, but i want to get a small laptop with wireless just to get on the internet at school...that's it, nothing fancy, don't even need an optical drive. I also want to spend no more than 400 dollars canadian.

Anything anyone can recommend? are there laptops for just geting on the internet? i don't mind a used one either.

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
well if you want a mac, an ibook is your best bet. if you could use a PC, i know sony has made some really small laptops. perhaps a PDA could work too?

mcmav37

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
If you want to stick to Mac, yes, go with a used iBook. Careful, though, as the older ones are only compatible with the regular Airport (not Airport Extreme) card and that is hard to come by. So, either try to get one that already has an Airport card, or search around because I recall seeing that there was some 3rd party 802.11 card that worked (apparently Apple had just repackaged them to become Airport cards).

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
If you want to go with:

Mac: look for a old G3 or G4 iBook, you might get lucky and find a decent deal.

PC: I know that SONY makes some no Optical drive notebooks, look for a used one.

or

you can buy a PDA and previous generation, they usually go for cheap. :)

bigpumbaa

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2004
KD7IWP said:
I have a friend here at Trinity Western University that bought an old 400mhz G3 iBook on ebay for I think $400 CA.

I just bought a iBook G3 500mhz. Its plently fast enough for normal school use (I'm using it as a 2nd computer). Wireless internet and note taking is what I'm using it for. I'm actually loving it... its my first Mac. I think I'm officially a switcher.

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
ChrisBrightwell said:
Why not carry your Powerbook to school?

well its heavy and its not all mine...i bought it with my brother.

i'd like something tiny that can fit on a lecture desk.

thanks for all the advice everybody.

DanTekGeek

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2004
Denver, CO
you might want to check out the compaq armadas. my friend has an absolutley tiny one. but for 400ca, your options are going to be limited.

Edit: its an armada m300 that he has.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.