Small laptops?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sikkinixx, May 7, 2007.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

While waiting to see what the latest Apple laptop offering will be I have been intrigued by small laptops/ultra portables. I used to own a 12" Powerbook but sold it because it was cheaper to sell and upgrade to a Macbook than to buy the extended Applecare on it. I was happy with my Macbook (when it worked) but I still for the tiny 12" when I was sitting in a cramped lecture hall.

Now that the Macbook is gone (The mac store I go to gave me $900 store credit for it...not too shabby for a Core Duo that was beat to hell and back) I am in the market for another laptop. I am going to wait as long as I can to see what the latest Apple's will hold and will most likely buy one but I looked at some OQO and Sony Vaio's and I would love something so small (particularly the Vaio) because even the macbook was kind of big. I mainly used it for taking notes, music, internet, some movie watching and obviously word processing.

Anyone have any experience with small laptops? 12" or under kind of things? I saw that Toshiba used to make a 7" one but I can't seem to find it any more... I worry about getting one due to the cost and also because the keyboards look uncomfortable (expecially on the OQO and the Sony UX)

2. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

At least wait for WWDC and see what it brings. Apple could introduce a new laptop at any time.
    For your other question, I used my buddy's 12 inch iBook G4 and I would say it's very good in portability. He brings his iBook G4 everywhere with him.

3. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

I second dartzorichalcos if you are willing to wait. They will hopefully announce or release something at WWDC.

4. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I don't need a laptop until September but if they don't release laptops this summer I may (may) wait until the event in October. An Apple is my preference but I am just interested in something a little smaller and then maybe I could use my store credit on an iMac or Mac Mini (if they ever update them)

5. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

In that case wait for Leopard too if you are willing to wait.

6. copperhead macrumors member

For portability, those 11.1" Vaios are a good choice, extremely light. Also, fujitsu makes some 10.6" ones that are tiny (actually i think they have a 9" too), so you can go to newegg.com and search fujitsu, they aren't really powerful, but are very small. I'm looking for a small one too (around 12.1"), so I'm crossing my fingers that Apple will release an ultra-portable laptop at WWDC.

Dell and HP also both make 12" laptops, but they aren't as small as the vaio or fujitsu.

7. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

If you *really* can't wait and have to go for Windows, the Sony TX seems pretty good for the purposes you mentioned (a couple of my friends have 'em).

8. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Well I can wait, and am going to. Just if the new laptops don't blow me socks off I might look elsewhere because while OS X is great, for school use Windows does everything just fine.

9. diehldun macrumors 6502a

how about the ThinkPad X60? any experiences with these?

somehow, i'm particularly fascinated with the fingerprint-scanner feature :D

10. slayr-cxf50 macrumors member

I can't think of a more useful size than 12". My iBook is perfect in this regard.

11. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

Oh, yeah, forgot about that one. I'd say the X60 is great unless you want an internal optical drive or really like the widescreen aspect ratio of the TX. Or unless you want something *really* light/thin. But the X60 is a lot tougher.

oh and thet both have a fingerprint reader

12. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Why don't you post in the market place here and see if someone will trade your store credit for a 12"pb. I'm not saying spent the whole 900.00 on it but it will get you what you want or just wait...

13. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

to me, anything under 11" is too small, I love my PB too, its the perfect size.

14. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

I used an x40 for three years of law school and it was great. Quality build, great keyboard, and sexy in a thinkpad kinda way.

the lack of optical drive isn't really a problem, b/c this computer is only used for work. Usually you can get what you need off the web or using a flash drive.

I assume the x60 follows in this traditions.

good luck.

15. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

16. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

a link for leopard? is there anyone who doesn't know what leopard is?

17. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

I just like to link stuff and give people more information.