Small LCD monitor suggestion?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by arogge, Mar 17, 2008.

1. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

I am looking to buy an LCD monitor with a basic VGA input. What I'm not finding is a monitor in the size that I want. Everybody seems to be selling these huge, 19-inch or larger screens with digital inputs, that cost $250 or more. I want a simple "monitor" screen, something between 6-inches and 10-inches in length.

Now it seems that every monitor must be of huge proportions or it's no good. They're pushing a 50-inch HD-TV running as a monitor in the Mac section of a local store. Where can I get a small LCD monitor? I only want it to display a video playback and my iChat session. What LCD products can you suggest?

2. Aranince macrumors 65816

When you buy a monitor..its inches diagonally...not wide or tall.

3. arogge thread starter macrumors 65816

arogge

When I buy a monitor, I care about the LxWxD and weight measurements, because that's how the requirements are specified. Why should I care about the diagonal measurement if the screen doesn't fit where it's supposed to be installed? I have 10-inches available for the monitor's length, 6-inches for its height, and it must not use more than 3-inches to its rear. It's useless if it doesn't meet these installation requirements, since I won't be able to install it.

4. maxlew macrumors newbie

5. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

It sounds like you aren't looking for the screen size, but rather the monitor's enclosure dimensions.

6. arogge thread starter macrumors 65816

arogge

That's correct, and so what can I get? Oddly enough, those overly-popular "digital frames" that display images on their LCD screens are the size that I want. The problem is that they can't be used as a regular VGA monitor.

7. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

There are many small LCD TV's to choose from designed to be used in kitchens and what not that are less than 10". You will not find an actual computer monitor that small. There are also tons of car mods that are small like that, the car mod screens will probably be the only ones with VGA on them instead of HDMI/component

8. Angrist macrumors 6502

Where exactly are you installing this monitor that space is such a constraint?

Does the screen need to fit in the space exactly? OR would something that was 8x6 work?

9. arogge thread starter macrumors 65816

arogge

It's meant to be placed in a small space on my computer table. It can be any size up to what I mentioned, so an 8x6-inch panel would fit. I simply don't have any more room for what is supposed to be a passive monitor.

10. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Out of curiosity, what purpose do you want this monitor to achieve? Meaning, do you want it just to display pictures of your family, or to be a small side window where you can stash photoshop palettes, or what?

11. joeybagadonutz macrumors member

Your only options for that small space will be from the automobile market or handheld market. For example, a 7" headrest monitor has the following dimensions:
    1.61 inches deep x 8.50 inches wide x 6.30 inches high

Portable handheld DVD players have a similar and smaller sized screens. I'm not sure either will have a VGA connection.

Would an articulating arm mount may be an option for a larger screen?

12. arogge thread starter macrumors 65816

arogge

I want to move my iChat, e-mail, DVD Player, and other small application windows over to a second monitor. A problem has been that I don't see the iChat messages when they arrive, my Dock is too full to find the iChat icon to see who is online, and my e-mail is interrupting my workflow. I want to be able to glance over at the small monitor and determine if I need to reply to something, and I want to play iTunes videos, DVD videos, and other lower-priority items over on the small monitor.

Another reason why I want a small monitor is because I'm trying to avoid having a huge glowing screen in the side of my face all day. It's distracting and it obstructs my view.

There are some laptops on the market that have this small LCD size, but how can I get such a screen without buying a whole laptop?

13. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Like I said you can buy tiny lcd screens for cars at car mod places. Or get a small tv.

14. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I doubt you will find one 3" thick as the stands are all deeper then that.

15. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

So i looked your best bet is to get a portable DVD player that has a video in on it. You will then need to convert it appropriately. But its going to be so low resolution it won't be worth it. It won't even fit a single chat window on it.

16. arogge thread starter macrumors 65816

arogge

Maybe I can use an iPod or iPhone as a second monitor! Is there a video input for those devices yet? What is the smallest LCD screen, with a standard VGA plug, that I could reasonably expect to buy nowadays? Would a small television have a VGA plug?

17. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

1. it doesn't need to be a VGA plug any video in will do.
    2. once again an ipod has too small of a resolution. To tell how many pixels you need open the windows you want to make fit, then take a screen shot of just that window, open it in preview and see how many pixels it is. You need atleast that resolution to make it fit

18. Baron58 macrumors 6502

Damn, can you people ever do anything but carp and nit-pick?!?

If you don't know the answer and can *actually help*, just sit on your hands.

OP: Lilliput makes monitors like you're looking for. Here is an example that may work just fine for you: http://www.lilliputweb.net/ts619.html You can order them from Amazon, or mp3car.com, and other places.

Xenarc is another choice: http://www.xenarc.com/product/700yv.html

19. Angrist macrumors 6502

Ah, I see now.
    You may want to look into using growl. It's a cool little ap that will pop up notification windows when system events happen. The notifcations float above all windows so you can always see them, but they're rather unobtrusive (Size, location, transparency are all variable). It's a great little app when screen realestate is an issue (like on a 12"PB).
    Oh .... and it's free.

20. arogge thread starter macrumors 65816

arogge

That appears to be more of what I want. Thanks. :)

21. lfletch macrumors newbie

lfletch

Small LCD monitor suggestion?

Have you looked into the Nanovision Mimo small screens?
    I really want one for a Mac iBook but I believe they will only work with Macs that are Intel based. I can't find enough info on the Mimos. One only is shown on Amazon as of this date.......Sept 24, 2009.
    http://www.amazon.com/UM730-Powered...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1253861737&sr=8-1

There are other models without webcam that may match your required specs......these are soooooo cool.........USB powered.