Resolved Small metal piece leftover after changing macbook pro ram

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ryanEM3, Aug 26, 2011.

1. ryanEM3, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011

ryanEM3 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So the other day I was upgrading the ram on my mid-2009 Macbook Pro and when I removed the back panel I decided to give it a good cleaning using a can of compressed air. After the cleanup and right before reassembling the aluminum housing I noticed a small piece of metal on my desk close to the laptop.

PIC 1: http://flic.kr/p/agDwTT

PIC 2: http://flic.kr/p/agGjL1

I couldn't figure out if this was part of the macbook or not. I thought maybe I had somehow blown it out of the case while cleaning with the dust buster. I could be wrong though because I have been repairing a bunch of stuff lately.

Does anyone recognize this piece?

Thanks

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

I don't recognize that as being a piece of your MacBook Pro, and I've taken a lot of them apart and put them back together. I'm not saying it's definitely not, as I can't say I know absolutely everything about every machine, but it's not ringing a bell, and to me, that means there's an exceptionally good chance it didn't come from your laptop.

3. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

What all did you remove to change your ram? That peice, if in your laptop is a gaurd to cover and align wires, and would have been screwed down.

4. ryanEM3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

I will look again this week when I am changing my hard drive but I think you may be right.

----------

I only removed 10 screws on the back of the laptop that hold the back panel in place. I didn't unscrew anything inside.

5. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Then you can probably be sure it's not from your MBP. Doesn't look familiar to me either, I've taken apart most of my MBP down to removing the logic board.

6. drambuie macrumors 6502a

If you've never seen that part before, and it wasn't on the table before opening your MBP, the only conclusion is that it came from inside the laptop. That doesn't mean it was part of the laptop, especially if others have not seen anything like it in an MBP. Maybe it somehow got inside the MBP during assembly. To me it looks more like something you might find in a larger machine such as an iMac, or even a Mac Pro.

If you're really curious about it, you could post the pics to the iMac and Mac Pro forums to see if anyone recognizes it.

7. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

That wouldnt probably be from a MBP.
    I dont know how you would get that just from replacing a RAM lol
    dont worry about it man, probably some left over from other electronic.

8. ryanEM3 thread starter macrumors newbie