Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alkaid

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2013
So, this is still a fairly new laptop (OSX 10.9 Mavericks, mid-2013 Macbook Pro, 2.5ghz i5) but I've run into an interesting issue. When I plug in headphones (for this, I used both the earbuds that Apple packs in with their iPods and an Incase set of over-the-ear headphones) I get 2 weird little effects.

The first is what I can only describe as an 'OOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo' whooshing sound in a decreasing whirr a short while after I plug in the headphones. It normally only happens once after I plug in.

The second is that I'll have either a little crackling or some small pop very infrequently.

Neither is super annoying but I do worry that this is a prelude to my sound card being ineffective or dying or something. (which would suck as this laptop is only about a month or so old) And if this is a major problem, I'll want to return this before it's too late (and maybe aim for the same unit refurbished or something)

Anyways, if there's anything else I can help with, please do let me know and I'll provide what information I can.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
So, this is still a fairly new laptop (OSX 10.9 Mavericks, mid-2013 Macbook Pro, 2.5ghz i5) but I've run into an interesting issue. When I plug in headphones (for this, I used both the earbuds that Apple packs in with their iPods and an Incase set of over-the-ear headphones) I get 2 weird little effects.

The first is what I can only describe as an 'OOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo' whooshing sound in a decreasing whirr a short while after I plug in the headphones. It normally only happens once after I plug in.

The second is that I'll have either a little crackling or some small pop very infrequently.

Neither is super annoying but I do worry that this is a prelude to my sound card being ineffective or dying or something. (which would suck as this laptop is only about a month or so old) And if this is a major problem, I'll want to return this before it's too late (and maybe aim for the same unit refurbished or something)

Anyways, if there's anything else I can help with, please do let me know and I'll provide what information I can.

The popping is likely just your sound card turning itself off to save energy when not in use.

Studflower

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2014
Both of those sounds are normal when using headphones.

Both of those sounds are NOT NORMAL when using headphones.

I have no idea what the first noise is about (the whirring one)...

But the second one is probably due to a improperly grounded circuit somewhere. This can also happen if you're plugged into an improperly grounded power outlet. Try plugging it into a different power outlet in your home and also try using the headphones with other devices. After you've ruled out everything and it still bothers you, I'd just schedule with the genius bar.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
They are normal. It's the sound of the audio hardware sleep and waking. Nearly every portable Intell based Mac makes those noises.

Alkaid

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2013
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I'm actually going to be getting a nicer new pair of headphones here in the near future and I'll test with those to see if there's noises that seem out of the ordinary.

As for the battery... I actually don't keep the laptop plugged in unless I've drained the battery/it's run out of a charge (and therefore, need the adaptor to charge it) so I'm not 100% sure how that might sound with headphones in. When my battery runs dry again, I will check to see if I hear any other noise.

Crugga

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2010
White noise is everywhere. Ofcourse if you got some mega high end stereo and £1000 speakers it will be quieter than a built in soundcard and cheap earphones but it will be there. It queting down is most likely your ears getting used to it(in the same way something loud become quiet after a bit).

The click will be the switch between headphones and speakers or could be to do with the data streaming, see if it only does it when you are streaming from a certain site/with a specific player. If it plays an mp3 in itunes perfect then theres nothing to worry about.

The white noise is not computer specific and will exist in all audio related things. Hifi, tvs, radio, PA etc. Quality of gear will certainly affect this. Remember a Macbooks a computer not a music player to the audio components will not be the best.

Certainly nothing to worry about imo unless it is constantly crackling.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
As for the battery... I actually don't keep the laptop plugged in unless I've drained the battery/it's run out of a charge (and therefore, need the adaptor to charge it) so I'm not 100% sure how that might sound with headphones in. When my battery runs dry again, I will check to see if I hear any other noise.

You shouldn't be doing that. LiPo batteries aren't like the old Ni-Cad batteries from back in the day, you don't need to give them all that much exercise for them to stay healthy. If that is why you're doing it, you're just putting needless cycles on your battery and making it age faster.

Alkaid

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2013
You shouldn't be doing that. LiPo batteries aren't like the old Ni-Cad batteries from back in the day, you don't need to give them all that much exercise for them to stay healthy. If that is why you're doing it, you're just putting needless cycles on your battery and making it age faster.

Ah, I did that on my much older Macbook (because it used to live on the AC cord and I went through a couple of batteries really quickly that way) So, what's the suggested use to keep the battery in good shape? (as I'd think also living on the AC wouldn't be good for it) I normally use my computer for whatever amount of time I need (anywhere from an hour to 5+ or much more, give or take, and then shut down) but I'm willing to adjust the way that I use it to make it last longer of course!

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Ah, I did that on my much older Macbook (because it used to live on the AC cord and I went through a couple of batteries really quickly that way) So, what's the suggested use to keep the battery in good shape? (as I'd think also living on the AC wouldn't be good for it) I normally use my computer for whatever amount of time I need (anywhere from an hour to 5+ or much more, give or take, and then shut down) but I'm willing to adjust the way that I use it to make it last longer of course!

Think of it more along the lines of a cell phone battery(same technology). It doesn't need much care, charge it whenever, use it whenever, you're not harming it either way.

What's bad for a LiPo battery is being plugged in 100% of the time, and full charge and discharge cycles all the time. Anything in between those two extremes is pretty much fair game.

Alkaid

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2013
Apologies for the delay with the holidays and all.

Alright, I'll do my best to keep it in between those extremes then. It's just getting into that habit but that shouldn't be too difficult I hope. Thank you so very much for the help there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.