Small raid system advice?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ben1l, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Ben1l macrumors regular

I need a small raid system, probably 4 drives, 6-12TB. I've been trying to find a unit that has Thunderbolt AND FireWire 800, but with no luck.
    Can anyone recommend one that has both these ports?

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

You might consider a LaCie 2Big. Depending on the disk size, the unit can do 4-8TB and be set up as RAID 0, 1, or JBOD. We love our 6TB units set up as RAID 1 (3TB mirrored). We use two Time Capsules for backups.

I would not spend any money on FW as Apple is dropping it from newer products. Move any drives from FW enclosures to USB 3 enclosures.

3. Ben1l thread starter macrumors regular

The issue is that for the next 2 months it has to connect to a current Mac Pro, and be fast enough to edit hd video over. After that I'm upgrading to the new Mac Pro so want the thunderbolt option.

4. Giuly, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Well, here's the thing: There are none.

But what does exist is a USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt RAID, the drobo 5D - and with the optional mSATA SSD, it will also be quite fast.

You can retrofit USB 3.0 to your Mac Pro with a $19.99 PCIe card (which will probably come in handy regardless of what you're doing with it later).

5. Ben1l thread starter macrumors regular

I heard Mac Pro USB 3 cards were notoriously unreliable, but I bought a sonnet card to give it a go... It didn't work. Had to send it back

6. Giuly, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

They should be reasonably reliable on Mountain Lion for two months of use. Just make sure to connect the power cable. The Orinoco card (unlike i.e. the CalDigit) uses Apple's drivers, so it works rather well. Also, it's $19 and not $79.