Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryvius

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2004
I thought I had a weird dead pixel problem when noticed a small, thin line near the center of my 15" Powerbook screen. When I turned it off to clean it and reboot, hoping to fix the problem, I discovered it was there when the light hit it just right.

It has to be a scratch. How or why (I've never scratched or used anything other than lint free cloths since I've used LCD screens) is a mystery.

Is this something I'll need to learn to live with? Is there a way to repair the screen? Its not that big, just annoying under the right light/colors.

-- Ryvius

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
Have a quick Google search - there are a number of useful tips. I'm afraid I can't help directly as I've never had such a problem!

My friend once sandwiched the plug to his power adaptor in his laptop once. It wasn't pretty... It left it with 3 prong marks in the middle of the screen : /

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
eeeep that sounds horrible, sandwitching your plug in your 'book!

it doesn't quite beat a school fight i got in as a kid. i got punched while wearning glasses (yeah but you don't think to stop the fight and take them off, do you?), and, ten years on, you can still see the scratch on my actual eyeball where the shattering glass it. luckily i can still see out of it... and yes, the culprit took home several special gifts, chosen especially by myself.

but that's another story.

sorry for grossing you out. :rolleyes: ;)

Ryvius

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2004
The items I found on google were more meant for iPods and LCD screens on PDAs -- not for LCD monitors. There were a few repair places, but it looked like heavy duty surgery.

If I took it into the Apple Store, would they fix it under Apple Care?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Ryvius said:
The items I found on google were more meant for iPods and LCD screens on PDAs -- not for LCD monitors. There were a few repair places, but it looked like heavy duty surgery.

If I took it into the Apple Store, would they fix it under Apple Care?

Applecare doesn't cover problems you caused (ie: dropping your Powerbook will get you nowhere)

My guess is you ay just have to learn to live with it. - But if you have an Apple Store nearby, just bring it in, the worst they can say is "no."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.