Small scuff marks on the screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tarek, May 28, 2018.

1. Tarek macrumors 6502

I have a 13" 2015 MacBook Pro and I have always kept it in pristine condition, but unfortunately a few hours ago I noticed a couple of really small scuff marks next to each other on the screen, and of course they're visible, especially when there's a white background or the brightness is high. I have absolutely no idea how that happened and it's really sad because I always like to keep my devices in the best shape possible, and I know that my warranty already expired so I was wondering what my best option would be?

I'll be going back home to Egypt for about a month and then returning to the UK and I wanted to have it fixed here since it'll be much easier to find parts, however I would never be able to change the screen myself or something because I am not very good at these things, I mean I have been using touch screen smart-phones for longer than I can remember yet I still fail every time when I try to install a screen protector, my motor skills just aren't made for these things. :D

I was wondering if Apple actually sells like the LCD and then the front screen separately? There's nothing wrong with the LCD, I just want to replace the outer screen.

Thanks a lot guys.

2. PhilMacbook, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018

PhilMacbook macrumors regular

I don't know whether Apple sells the parts but in Britain you will definitely find third party repair shops that will replace just the glasss. I have had this done myself. It is tricky to do so they may mark a tiny section of the rubber that surrounds glass slightly but they may not. Either way it cost me about £90 including shipping.

I had mine done while away on business but if you are in London I think some places can do a same day walk-in service. Don't forget to backup your data first and encrypt the drive.

Your screen may not be bad enough to need a repair. I know what you mean but items we use heavily everyday can rarely be kept pristene and maybe ther aren't meant to be.

3. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

This could be related to "StainGate".
    Take it to a brick-n-mortar Apple Store if there is one nearby, and let them look at it.

4. Tarek thread starter macrumors 6502

I forgot about this issue until recently because I feel like the coating is getting peeled off even more with time. I made a reservation at the Apple Store on Wednesday, hopefully they can at least confirm that the issue can be fixed for free under their extended warranty plan. I will probably not be able to leave it there since I don't have access to a different laptop at the moment, but I can probably send it in by September when I am hopefully done with my thesis.

I do wish they were nice enough to provide even a cheap, old temporary replacement MacBook till they fixed mine, but I know that that would be extremely chaotic for them given all the issues and insane amount of devices they have to take care of on a daily basis.

5. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP wrote:
    "I will probably not be able to leave it there"

Do you want it fixed?
    Then you may have to "leave it there".

The decision -- fixed or not fixed -- is yours to make.