Small Spec revealing that I have OCD?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Mr. Incredible, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

So, after applying my Ultra Crystal film on my iPhone screen, I noticed that there is a super tiny small black spec on the right side of the screen in the middle (not the center of the screen, just in the middle of the phone, but to the far right).

A part of me just wants to leave it as is.

A part of me wants to lift it up clean it and reapply it.

But then a part of me says that if I lift it up, it will ruin the screen protector, and I wouldn't be able to reapply it.

A part of me just wants to ignore it, but the other part wants to "fix it".

This isn't something of me to worry about, huh?

Does anyone else have an OCD like this?

Should i attempt to "fix it" by cleaning it, and risk ruining my screen protector and having to buy a new one, or just leave it alone?

Ugh, it's just staring at me....taunting me....

2. wildrage macrumors member

My experience is that once you peel the thing back up, even if you don't destroy it, it always looks 10x worse then it would have if you just left the little speck.

So either deal with the speck, or buy a whole new screen protector.

I typically run the shower on hot so the room fills up with steam, then apply my protector. I know it sounds funny, but the steam makes all the dust in the room drop to the floor, and reduces airborne particles.

3. bighabeeb macrumors 6502

This my friend is why I gave up on screen protectors. I went through so many of the damn things trying to remove every little spec - it was insane.

I will say that the "wet application" ones seemed to eliminate a lot more of the shmootz...but really, unless you happen to have access to a data center clean room, the odds of a perfect application are not in your favor.

4. Mr. Incredible thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah, I guess I'll just deal with it til I can't stand it anymore. Is it so bad using it without a screen protector though? I mean, I still have my iPhone 2g, but it has a bunch of small hairline scratches.

I don't think the dame will happen with this, since I'll be even more careful, but I wouldn't want to risk it, you know?

I don't know how dome users here ate able to use it without a screen protector, I'd be a bit paranoid, and if it drops, you'll be bashing yourself on why you never had one like you should have, you know?

5. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Same here, here is what I do.

With a very small piece of tape lift up the shield. Next, take tweezers with very sharp end points and remove the speck. Then put the screen protector down, put something over the shield, and work out the bubbles, works for me every time.

6. Mr. Incredible thread starter macrumors 6502a

That sounds like a good idea, but I don't know whether when lifting the shield, the spec will be stuck on the shield or on the glass.

If it's on the shield, I could potentially scratch the inside of the shield with the tweezers making the matter worse, or even scratch the glass on the phone.

Would any kind of tweezers work just fine?

7. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

Agreed, if it were me I'd leave i, I have a small speck on mine too, I'm OCD about it as well but after the first 2 days I didn't notice it anymore. Id say if you try to take the speck out, I bet it will look worse, more dust specks could go underneath or as you said you could scratch the screen protector or put a dent or something in it with the tweezers then it will look worst. I'd say just leave it or replace the SP.

8. savior1974 macrumors regular

I wouldn't use tweezers... What you do is you use a piece of tape to lift up the screen protector just enough to stick another piece of tape under the screen protector. You slide the other piece of tape and dab it onto the speck (meaning on the glass, or on the screen protector from underneath) and the stickyness of the tape should lift the speck off of the screen or off the screen shield.

Thats how I made all the screen shields I have ever installed spotless. I also do this in a steamy bathroom with the shower on.

9. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Use it without a screen protector. Unless you put your phone in the same picket as your keys, or rub it against rocks, it's not really going to get noticeably scratched.

10. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

Shoulda just left it in the cellophane wrapped box.

Or you could install an invisible sheild wrapped in a wrapsol covered with the power support HD matte to cut the glare. Then put it all in a otterbox defender just in case.

Or you could just use the damn thing as it was intended and enjoy it.

11. Badfoot macrumors 6502

I have CDO .......... It's the same as OCD but the letters are in correct alphabetical order.

12. Laike macrumors member

I use the tape method too to remove specks from underneath my screen protector. It's possibly one of the best accessory advice I've ever received! My hands are too shaky to use tweezers, plus I'd rather not scratch the bottom of the screen protector unnecessarily