Small spill, turned off, now won't boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rkmac, Sep 22, 2010.

1. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

I spilt a small am out of water on the bottom right of the keyboard, like VERY little. First my shift key started being jammed on. So I force shut down removed the key and dried under (couldn't even see any moisture). Now when I put my battery back in and tried to boot, nothing happens at all. I press the power button and nothing happens.
    I know I shouldn't have spilled the water etc, but does anyone know why it might not boot? It's a late 2008 unibody

2. rkmac thread starter macrumors 6502

rkmac

A few extra details:
    I had to remove the battery to turn the laptop off as the power button didnt do anything when I held it down to force shut down. I was running windows 7 in bootcamp at the time. Could it be that the power button is broken?

3. movieboy23 macrumors regular

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think your power button is broken.

Seems like the water got onto the logic board and may have shorted out. I would take the machine to an authorized service provider (not an Apple store) and see if they can detect any corrosion on the logic board and whether or not the board can be cleaned.

If not, you might be looking at a new machine.

Good luck.

4. rkmac thread starter macrumors 6502

rkmac

Just booked at appointment for tomorrow. This spill was VERY minor, but who knows?
    Been eyeing up a MacBook pro with high res display for a while anyway. Could be my chance to finally upgrade.

5. moel macrumors 6502

Yeah TBH I don't think it's going to be good news.

You say a small spill, but how long was it before you managed to get the shift key off. The water could quite easily have run onto the logic board and it also sounds like you turned off, used tissue, tried turning right back on again

In the case of any spillage your mbp should be left turned off, in a container of rice in a dry warm area (airing cupboard or equivalent) for at least 12 - 24 hours.

6. rkmac thread starter macrumors 6502

rkmac

Yeah, I didn't really even notice the water so it could have been a while. I noticed it when I was typing and everything was it caps and the numbers were all doing their symbols. It's currently powered off and battery removed in a dry room, so hopefully it's working tomorrow morning, and if not, off to the apple store :(