Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdhatt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
hi, i just got my macbook pro and when it starts up it makes a small faint click noise and then starts up, is this normal? sounds like its coming near the cd slot but im not sure. ive watched videos and seen a buddy start up his mac and i never really noticed that....is it normal? or is it supposed to be dead quite as everyone claims the MBP is?

jdhatt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
It's the ODD (Optical Disc Drive) checking for any inserted media.

so its completely normal? i dont have to take it in? i called my local apple store and teh dudes like hes never noticed a sound but if everythings working it should be fine, but i should bring it in just in case anyway :s

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
You can bring it in, but if it is the ODD (what it most probably is), then it is alright. I had four Apple notebooks, and all made that sound at startup.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
so its completely normal? i dont have to take it in? i called my local apple store and teh dudes like hes never noticed a sound but if everythings working it should be fine, but i should bring it in just in case anyway :s

If you take it in they'll just tell you the same thing. My MacBook pro makes that noise too, so its nothing to worry about. All computers that I've used make some sort of noise about a second before the screen comes to life.

jdhatt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
If you take it in they'll just tell you the same thing. My MacBook pro makes that noise too, so its nothing to worry about. All computers that I've used make some sort of noise about a second before the screen comes to life.

its just that one same noise for like a second maybe not even and then it starts up, all of you have had it?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
All laptops with slot loading drives do that. It's perfectly normal, use the darn thing and don't worry about it.

kaheiyeh

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
It's normal. Every laptop I've owned, even non-Apple ones, have made some sort of sound from the CD/DVD drive on boot.

neonblue2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2006
Port Pirie, South Australia
It's a normal sound and it's unique for each revision.
  • Old G4 PowerBook makes this 2-3 second mechanical sound.
  • Old Core Duo MacBook Pro makes a 1.5 second zip-zoo sound.
  • Sister's Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro makes a 1 second zippier sound.
  • Current Core 2 Duo Unibody MacBook Pro makes an even faster zip sound that you can sometimes miss.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
On my MacBook Pro its not just the optical drive. The hard drive makes a similar noise at the same time, so it sounds like: eeeeeeee--rrrrrrrrrrr but really fast ;)

jdhatt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
On my MacBook Pro its not just the optical drive. The hard drive makes a similar noise at the same time, so it sounds like: eeeeeeee--rrrrrrrrrrr but really fast ;)

haha yea something like that :p

cshen

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2008
my late 2008 unibody 15 mbp makes a much bigger noise compare to other models

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.