Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshuapending

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
Australia
Hi Guys,

Just a small Indesign CS5 question. I do a lot of step and repeat at work and have been using CS3 at this point. Now in cs5 when i step and repeat it keeps my selection on the old and new object. I want it just on the new object, without having to select next object and then step again.

Basically i need to create crop marks for business cards say, and i wanna step 55mm then 5mm then 55 and so on. This is WAY slower if i have to select the next object in between each step.

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers,

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
It's working OK for me in ID CS5 - it selects just the new object . Using Command-Shift-M to make the first copy, then Command-Option-4 to repeat.

joshuapending

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
Australia
as i'm going 55 then 5 then 55 etc you cant repeat it x amount of times. The move seems to be a possible work around, i just dont like that i have to click on copy. I know its a small thing but i have become very fast using step and repeat on my jobs and now its working differently and its annoying.

macstudent

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2002
Milwaukee, WI
If you are looking to create crop marks, don't use step and repeat. You should be using the built in crop marks script.

In CS5 go to window > utilities > scripts. Find the AppleScript folder and the cropmarks script.

Select all of your business cards and then double click on the script.

If this doesn't work for you you can always use the "transform sequence again" command in the object menu to repeat the last series of actions (if you manually applied a crop mark.

joshuapending

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
Australia
thanks

Thanks macstudent, i'm aware of the script as well but dont actually use it much, just land up doing things manually. Guess i should adopt them more, bit stuck in my ways i guess :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.