Small tear in the hdd ribbon cable..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matthewskyle, Jan 23, 2011.

1. matthewskyle macrumors member

So I had an older 17" mbp that had a SSD in it and wanted it in my new 13" mbp and while putting it in I noticed that I had somehow made a slight tear in the internal ribbon that connects the logic board to the HDD and now it will not recognize any drives. So with that said I have a few questions.

-Is this covered under warranty? (i suspect its not, but worth asking).
    -Does it matter if I take it to an Apple store versus an Authorized Service Provider as far as price or warranty goes and how much should I expect to spend?
    -Are there problems anymore with using SSD's in 13" mbp's? (I read that a lot of people could not get their mac to recognize the drive)
    -This is off this topic, but my girlfriend spilled something on one of the volume buttons which made it start sticking and the LED light to go out. Can I get that taken care of free of charge under my warranty?

Thanks for any help.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No.

It should be about the same. No idea how much it will cost you.

No...

No. Liquid spills are considered accidental damage and aren't covered.

3. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

You can take it to the Apple store and get a Genius to give you a quote. This is probably your fastest solution to get it fixed.

If you are a bit more savvy you can try iFixit and see if they carry a ribbon cable that is compatible with your model.

4. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

If you have another computer to use for viewing the iFixit instructions while you replace the ribbon cable, that's the way to go. And while you're in there, you can clean out the sticky spill.

5. Senior Marston macrumors newbie

Matthew, any update on the ribbon cable tear? Did you find a replacement?

6. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a