small thing about dock Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by irishgrizzly, Feb 18, 2008.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

In tiger you used to be able to click on an app and it would bring up the associated minimised window. I can do this in Leopard. Is their a preference somewhere that will change this?

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

It works the same way, why can't you do this? Tell us what exactly are you doing? Did you open and app and minimize it and then trying to bring it out of the dock? I don't understand what you are saying?

3. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Yeah, I open the app, minimise the window (so it's sitting in the dock, on the right). Then I click on the app's dock shortcut (not the minimised window) but nothing happens. Like I said it's a small thing.

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Has to be something with your setup because it DOES work this way still in Leopard.

Even when using spaces, if you minimize the app, change spaces, click on the Dock icon (not the minimized) it swap spaces and brings up the app.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It definitely still works in a vanilla Leopard set up.

Have you done any Dock hacks to get rid of the look/feel?

6. mooncaine macrumors regular

Perhaps the app in question has more than one window open at the moment, and at least one of them is not minimized?

Some apps have a secret window, such as Firefox, that we aren't supposed to see, but nevertheless is there, somewhere. Perhaps something like this is happening.

7. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

No hacks set up – I'd never put anything like that on – would be worried I'd break something. I'll do a little testing tonight and see if there's any way round it.

8. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Is this with all apps on your system or one in particular?

9. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

All, I'm sure it's all, but I'll check my home machine in a few hours and post.

10. mzd macrumors 6502a

another thing to try is to check and see if clicking on the trash for example opens the trash window like it should. every once in a while, my dock stops opening finder windows unless i logout/in again. same with stacks - if i click the show in finder button at the top it does nothing.
    a logout/in always fixes it though.

11. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

What I would also recommend is putting your Leopard install disk in and boot up to the install screen and go into "Utilities" and choose "Disk Utility" and highlight the main disk drive on the sidebar and choose "Repair Disk" on the bottom right. There may be a couple of errors on your disk and this should correct your issue.

12. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

logged in today and it is fixed - logout/in must have done it.

Thanks