Smaller Android Phones

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Cole Slaw, May 5, 2014.

1. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

Why do Android phone manufacturers always seem to neuter their smaller-sized phone offerings?
    I hate that if you want a smaller version of an Android flagship from the likes of HTC, Samsung or LG (say the mid 4 inch range) you get maybe a gig of ram, 8 gigs storage, etc.
    I think only Sony offers a smaller Xperia that has the same specs as it's bigger brother.
    I hope Apple doesnt do this when they offer multiple sized iPhones.

2. kasakka macrumors 68000

Amen. There is absolutely nothing in the 4-4.5" area that can be considered anything but subpar, several years old tech with qHD displays etc.

The only real contenders seem to be Sony Xperia Z1 Compact and the Moto G.

The Moto G isn't that high on specs but at least it has a 720p display. The lack of LTE is it's only major problem IMO, hopefully the next iteration adds that and a slight speed and memory bump.

The Z1 Compact seems nice but I felt that they could've crammed a larger display in the same chassis.

I would love to see something the size of the S4 Mini but with at least 720p display.

3. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

4. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Doesn't it have a 4.7" display?

I think basing these types of things off display size doesn't paint the whole picture. While the Moto X wouldn't be included because it falls outside the 4-4.5" range, its barely larger than the 4" iPhone overall. IMO, great display to size ratio.

In general though, I think this only supports the assertion that larger displays spawned out of Android OEMs' need to beef up specs and they couldn't get enough into smaller devices to make Android run smoothly.

Fast forward to a much leaner Android 4.4.2 and larger devices wouldn't be necessary except that they became very popular. I still hold the belief the advent of the phablet and these popular large smartphones was somewhat of an accident.

5. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

This^^^. Comparing devices based on display size is the wrong way to go about this. The Moto X and HTC One (M7) have the same size display but are vastly different in size. Same goes for all of the current 5-5.2" display devices.

The breaking point between large and small devices seems to be less than 130mm in length (Moto X and G, Z1 Compact, S4 Mini, G2 Mini) and over 137mm (Nexus 5, One (M8), S5, G2, Z2) with the latter group continuing to grow larger and larger. Unfortunately, the former group of devices, excluding the Z1c (for which I'm also eagerly waiting delivery :D) are all spec'd significantly below their big brothers. Doesn't bode well for me personally as I prefer the smaller size--heck, as big of a fan of the iPhone that I am, I likely won't be getting new iPhone 6 because of its size.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I agree completely. I'd love to have a smaller version of my One, but the specs just kill it for me.

7. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Droid Mini.

Identical specs to the Moto X but with a 4.3in screen. Extremely great. Verizon exclusive though, and I don't believe its unlockable/rootable either.

8. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I dunno, for me the width effects the one handedness and phone call comfortability more than the height. I think the 65mm of the moto x is probably the max for what is considered a compact phone.

9. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

There's the Droid Mini that shares the same specs with the Ultra and the Moto X.

10. williamwilson macrumors newbie

Because no one is buying them. If there was such a huge demand for small phones, you can bet someone would be making them and making millions of dollars. The demand obviously isn't there, people want large phones these days.

11. Armand2REP macrumors newbie

Android OEMs do this because they know everyone that wants that screen size will go for an iPhone instead so they can only compete by going cheaper.