Smaller Apple Thunderbolt Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dowjohnny, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Dowjohnny, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

Dowjohnny macrumors 6502

Dowjohnny

Hey guys,

just wanted to ask if there is any chance for an upcoming smaller thunderbolt display? I'm planning to get a 11" MBA and would like to plug it into a cinema display, but the existing 27" is just too big..

Please no comments like "can't have enough screen estate", it just won't fit on my desk and i'm sitting too close, so i would be looking at it like from first row in a cinema (lol, litterally ;))

Any rumors of that? I know there is older smaller displays but i want the current one..

If not i'll have to buy a new desk... ^^

regards

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I would love to see this too. 27in is just way too big for me. I'd never get a bigger iMac for the same reason. However I doubt apple would release a smaller version. It seems "the bigger the better" is the new mantra in Cupertino.

3. Boeing747 macrumors member

Apple wouldn't do this because most people who buy the thunderbolt display are some sort of graphical designer/video editor and they need that amount of screen real estate.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Except that the ACDs are glossy and not exactly color accurate enough for true pros. Most pro's would rather have matte, color accurate screens vs built-in TB. The ACD is for hobbyists, of which I consider myself in those ranks.

Personally though the 27" is too much space for me. I vastly prefer 2 x 24" which is why I gobbled up a couple Minidisplay Port 24" refurbs before Apple KO'ed them. I wish Apple would reintroduce them. My desk can't handle 2 27" screens, nor do my hands want to do that much walking.

5. Dowjohnny thread starter macrumors 6502

Dowjohnny

Thx

Thanks for your opinions guys, hmm it's a shame that there will be probably no smaller one any time soon..

Will have to go for a DELL Ultrasharp Screen or something.. Buying a used smaller ACD is just too big trouble for me, i'm scared having no warranty..

regards

6. VeganHipster macrumors regular

You can still find old 24" Cinema Displays in the refurbished store or on ebay. Or you can buy the older matte Cinema Displays. They come in many different sizes, I think they have 20", 21", 22", 24", and 30", although I am not sure if I am right. I think the matte cinema displays look better with the macbook air, personally.

7. bniu macrumors 6502a

the only other size they could make a Cinema Display right now is 21.5" at 1920x1080. Why? That's the same screen as the 21.5" iMac. They make the 27" screen because they already have the 27" screens for the iMac, so if they wanted to, they could make a 21.5" one as well. Ever since the 24" cinema display, it seems that cinema displays became a secondary project for Apple and are made in sizes convenient to Apple.

8. Combchris macrumors newbie

I bought the 27 inch and took it back because it was just to big. I to want something smaller for my macbook pro

9. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

guess im the only one that hopes they updates the 30 inch model to the new imac design.