Smaller bezel on ipad 4 would mean smaller size

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kristoffer4, Jul 10, 2012.

1. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

Do you think Apple will reduce the size of the bezel on the next ipad to make it less wide? There was a rumor that the ipad mini (if it comes to market) would use a thinner bezel.

2. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

The bezel is about the same width as a human thumb.

This is not an accident.

3. TyroneShoes2 macrumors regular

My best guess is that it would be proportionally the same, and since a smaller device, thinner in that regard. But not proportionally thinner, or at least not by much.

One establishing factor of a hand-held, touch-screen device is you have to be able to grip it without obscuring the live video area and without inadvertently "touching" something. IOW, the bezel has a real, functional purpose. That would mean that it could be argued that a smaller iPad would need the same bezel size, which would then be proportionally thicker.

I drool over the thought of a no-bezel iPad where the image is the same size as the entire glass screen, but that is probably not practical. Another thing they could do is use the entire screen when the glass is not being touched, but as soon as it detects a grip in the outer band, the image shrinks away a 1/2 inch or so on that side (and on the bottom to maintain aspect ratio).

I see that as a user-friendly if not clever way to use the entire glass when used in a stand, and still provide a grip area when not. That would mean that the image would have to shrink "live", but we have already seen that since Apple uses vector images for everything that this could be as done smoothly as zooming and pinching.

Case makers would probably hate this, as it means they have to find a way to hold the iPad without any wrapping around of the front edges. But they will adjust.

If I worked for Apple, that would be the idea I would be beating Tim Cook's door down over.

4. MacAgnostic macrumors regular

MacAgnostic

My rendering based on the recent case "leaks" shows that the bezel would become narrower (given a 7.85" 4:3 display).

Attached Files:

5. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

The current bezel size is just PERFECT and the size has not been determined by accident.

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Of course it's perfect.

I'm 100% sure if Apple had made the bezel 1mm wider or 1mm narrower, you would now be shouting loudly how rubbish and terrible it is, and they had made it the wrong width.

----------

What age and sex of human would that be then?

7. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

Male and female, and 14+.

I can't thank Apple enough for doing that with the bezel. :)

8. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Amazing that I'm still learning new things every day.

You know, I never realised that all men and women once they are past the age of 14 have exactly the same width thumbs.

Well, just goes to show you how wrong I was in assuming people of different ages, sex's & body types has different sized thumbs.

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It's a mean of.

10. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I said "The bezel is about the same width as a human thumb."

It's simple ergonomics and human factors.

Things that Apple, and other companies, invest millions into with R&D.

11. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

I can't believe how ****ing stupid your posts are. Please, be kind when people answer you and STOP DOING WHATEVER YOU'RE DOING.

12. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I know, I apologise. I just so so wish more people were capable of independent thought, and would not just say "It's Perfect" to everything Apple does, simple because Apple has done it.

I know of course, not everyone is like this, but we do see to have a heavy compliment of people like that here, but as it's a "mac forum" I guess it's to be expected.

I just find it tiresome that a number (is that fare) just have to automatically accept something as the best. I'd really like them to spec out something 1st that THEY genuinely felt was the best and then if Apple did make it, then yes, it's matched what they wanted.

It's like being in love with a music artist and proclaiming every single track they ever wrote is better than any other artist.

I also understand this is very much "current fashion" in that if you showed these same people something Apple made from years ago, and they did not know it was an Apple product, they may well, go, OMG who the hell made that.

Just like things, please because you genuinely like them, and please please try your very best not to be influenced by just one company's view on the items you should own and how you should use them.

We are all unique and worthy humans, and deserve to have our own views on things, not just following someone else's ideas.

We are all worth more than that.

13. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

+100

piggie is always arguing with someone over something nonsensical.

----------

because someone agrees with apple doesnt mean they are some sheep.
    you are able to have your view on things, dont assume people are just agreeing with them for no reason, or for fashion or w/e you think it is. You shouldnt let it bother you that bad.
    It is not our place to judge.
    We are all worth more than that...

14. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I agree with most you are saying, however, we do have the stream of people who would not know if they should like or dislike an item unless they know who made it.

I guess it's a bit like art and some people. MR X painted this, OMG it's a stunning masterpiece. Or hang on, it was actually MR Y. Oh yes, I can see in actual fact it's not very good really.

Just like things irrespective of who makes them, and don't just say "It's Perfect" just because company X made it, but it's rubbish as it was made by company Y

I am thankful there are still a good percentage or people here with their own independent viewpoints on things.

This doe not mean, I don't like Some Apple items, some aspects to designs, and some features. But I'm going to disagree with aspects I don't like, I don't feel the need to agree just for the sake of it.

15. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

for sure you shouldnt have to agree at all if you dont agree with it!. the art and music concepts you use are spot on with many people on here.

still shouldn't let that bother us or feel the need to reprehend them. They might genuinely think those ideas are best for whatever reason, just like apple thinks their designs/aspects are best. Im sure like you said some are just doing it for the hip factor or w/e, but even so like you said,we all have our own views (even if its based on principles that aren't solid)

back on topic, i personally like the bezel the size it is. Edge to edge screen would look slick, but i like not having to cover the screen just to hold my device.

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The problem with Piggie's attitude is this:

Let's say there were 10 posters who are just saying the bezel size is perfect simply because Apple made it like that. Then there is a 11th poster who really did think about it and compared it to other products and independently concluded that the bezel size of this particular product is perfect. It just happens to be made by Apple.

How can we tell them apart? Piggie will probably see the 11th person's post and just say "You are just saying it's perfect because Apple made it."

In other words, Piggie just assumes that everyone who agrees with Apple is doing it because they are Apple fanboys.

And how is that different from an Apple fan liking everything Apple makes simply because Apple makes it? it's jumping to conclusions without stopping to analyze other factors.

I'll just add that I find the bezel a bit wider than my thumbs. It looks like it could be a bit thinner without affecting usability, but again, I'm not sure because I haven't used any other tablets with a thinner bezel. in any case, the width of the bezel doesn't bother me -- as soon as I start using the iPad I just forget about it.

17. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

Thank you so much BFfizzle and NightSpring. :)

To the topic: Smaller bezel on the ipad 4 would problably not mean smaller size. Just larger screen. :)

18. Carouser macrumors 65816

What kind of twit thinks criticism is in itself proof of independent thought? The person in this thread espousing that attitude is, surprisingly enough, evidence to the contrary. (In other words, Piggie thinks repeating the same strawman arguments and shoddy arguments, despite having them addressed every time, is proof of his or her capacity to reason, when it's really just evidence of the opposite. Total block-list stuff.)

19. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

You are correct, never thought about this till you mentioned it!

20. MacAgnostic macrumors regular

MacAgnostic

In this image, the iPad mini bezels would be 22mm tall and 8.6mm wide
    The current iPad bezels are 22mm tall and 18.9mm wide

Attached Files:

21. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

22. ctc799 macrumors member

I like how the bezel stays the same width, so it retains the same space in any orientation. I think they'll continue that along the iPad line(s).