Smaller interface

Discussion in 'macOS' started by KarlEdmunds, May 28, 2007.

1. KarlEdmunds macrumors member

Is there a way I can have a smaller interface, maybe a way to set a percentage of the original size.

My only real gripe with tigers interface is how big some of the controls and toolbars can be, oh and that it's not that consistent but I can live with that for now.

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Nope. You can make it *appear* smaller by getting a higher-resolution screen, but the size of the controls is unfortunately fixed. Sorry. :(

3. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

If you're talking about icon sizes, then yes you can make them smaller. Just right click in Finder, and select "show view options", that allows you to change the way icons are displayed. You can make the Dock smaller simply dragging it from the 'gap' next to the Trash or going into system prefs and changing it there.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't know of a way to make the interface smaller (you really probably want Linux if you want to go that far in changing the look and feel), but do you know about Uno, for this latter concern?

The "inconsistency" doesn't bother me, and I don't see any need for it, but the
    "fix" is available if you want it. :)

5. Nutter macrumors 6502

You can. Install the developer tools from your Mac OS X installation DVD. Find "Quartz Debug" and launch it. Select "Show User Interface Resolution" from the Tools menu, and drag the slider to the left.

It is a bit glitchy, but it works and there's no harm in giving it a go.

6. KarlEdmunds thread starter macrumors member

I have uno and it's great, but I would prefer apple to release a new interface as I'm not keen on any of them. Don't get me wrong, it's great compared to other OSs I have used.

I'm going to give that a go, thanks.

7. KarlEdmunds thread starter macrumors member

@Nutter

That's exactly what I wanted, pity it's so buggy though. 0.92 to 0.98 were perfect sizes for what I was looking for but the interfaces were quite messed up:confused:

Thanks though :)

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

What resolution screen are you using? Mac OS X wastes a lot less space that Windows XP which is one reason I like the UI, but it really wants a large resolution regardless.

The true answer is going to be getting a bigger screen or larger resolution screen at the same size.

Don't even bother with this.

9. KarlEdmunds thread starter macrumors member

I have the 20" intel iMac. Can't get higher than 1680x1050

Wish I had a 30" :(

dpaanlka I agree about the less space wasted, but for some reason I really like smaller interfaces and after a while OSX seems quite large.

I was running Gentoo for about a year at one point and was using fluxbox, I would love something similar to that, but with OSX attractiveness.

10. weeman macrumors 6502

Hey did you try this? How did it go? I'm planning to give it a go myself, but just want some feedback on it.

11. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

You really shouldn't kid yourself and think this is any sort of solution that you want to use. It's super buggy, unfinished, and is NOT intended for people to use in any sort of actual way, it's only for developers to (sortof) test how their stuff reacts in future versions of the Mac OS that have resolution independence (for super high resolution screens, not our screens).

12. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Fully functional resolution-independence isn't quite ready in Tiger; but you can take some steps to keep you sane until Leopard prowls along.

- As someone suggested, you can scale the icons down, to any size you want. Both on the desktop, and in windows.
    - Changing the text size (also in View Options) can make a big difference, especially in Column View.
    - Many Mac apps now offer a "Customize Toolbar" option, if you select "Icon Only" and check "Use Small Size" this reduces the size of toolbars considerably. (You'll have to do this once per application.)