Smaller iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mazz0, Jul 18, 2014.

1. mazz0 macrumors 65816

mazz0

So, the rumours, which I think we can pretty much take as true now, all still indicate that both the new iPhones will be big ones.

What does this mean for those of use who prefer smaller screens? I'm sure they'll keep making the 5S (and possibly the 5C) for at least another year, but what then? Do people expect they'll make a new model in a smaller screen size later?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

The trend is definitely for larger phones. Like you say, I think Apple will keep a smaller screen phone for a while. How long will depend mostly of how well it sells.

You have to understand that there are few if any phones with a screen size of the iPhone 5.

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I'd be surprised if they didn't keep at least one 3.5" or 4" model. They sell very well after all, and not all of us wants a giant phone.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The industry is moving to larger phones not smaller ones. I'd say apple is going roll out a 5" or larger, not a smaller one.

5. mazz0 thread starter macrumors 65816

mazz0

Are you sure about that? I think I read that /growth/ in larger sizes was higher, but I put that down to people who want smaller screens already having one.

The only time you'd be able to accurately compare sales would be if a new iPhone was available in the various size options (so not a new iPhone in big size and last years in small size).

----------

I'd rather they went back to the original size for the smaller model. I haven't heard many people saying that they wanted bigger than the original but don't want bigger still, so I dunno how many people really like the current size?

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I am not sure about anything having to do with this as no one really knows except Apple.

What I DO know is Apple is in this to make MONEY!

If it sells they will build it. So it is really up to the consumer. In the end everyone may not be happy, it is the way it works.

I would still bet that there will be a iPhone 5 screen available, if it has any new features like the 6, I am betting not.

7. mazz0 thread starter macrumors 65816

mazz0

For the coming year, I agree, but they're clearly not going to keep selling the 5S indefinitely. What happens next near is what I'm wondering (and inviting speculation) about.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Like I said, if there is enough interest and sales of a smaller screened iPhone, Apple is not stupid.:rolleyes:

9. mazz0 thread starter macrumors 65816

mazz0

Do you think there will be? Out of people you know, do many prefer the smaller sizes? Seems to varey wildly, some people saying everyone they know prefers bigger screens, some say everyone they know prefers smaller screens. I know both, but I seem to be in a minority. Maybe people naturally congregate and form friendships with people with similar phone size tastes, like they do with people with similar political persuasions...

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I think the narrow 4" may stick around for a long time. It's easy, as it maintains the same 16:9 aspect ratio of the rumored super-sized iPhone's. But it won't be a premium phone, it'll be tier 2 or 3. My guess is the 5S's internals with TouchID will get repackaged in the cheaper 5C toy shell.

Cheaper for Apple, and cleaner product lineup all with the same aspect ratio. Good for videos, gaming, scrolling lists, etc.

----------

Ummmmm no, that's silly.

11. rpungello macrumors member

If I had to guess, I'd say the 'C' line of phones will remain 4" for a while.
    What I don't know is how they'll handle naming.

The 5C launched alongside the 5S, so the naming wasn't too difficult. However, once the 6 comes out, would they launch a 6C and a 6?
    If so, what happens when the 6S comes along?
    We could either get a 6CS and a 6S, but that seems unlikely.

What might make sense is to only refresh the 'C' line every 2 years, at the same time the 'S' phones come out.

So you could have a 6C come out with the 6S, and keep the 5C around when the 6 comes out.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see though.

12. mazz0 thread starter macrumors 65816

mazz0

I wasn't serious.

13. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

Here's a possibility that doesn't seem likely.

Apple debuts iPhone 6 (4.7) and iPhone 6L (5.5) same specs exactly.
    Then the 5S get put in the 5C shell. And then a 6C debuts. iPhone 6 specs (mostly) but in a 5C shell. Then the future is basically that. The high end phone in the smaller 5C shell to make a iPhone mini. I doubt this greatly but it might happen...or not

14. Enabledobject macrumors 6502

Enabledobject

They sell very well because that's all Apple makes. The true test in how well they sell will be after they release (finally) the larger versions.

15. cynics macrumors G4

I feel people are greatly over exaggerating the size difference. We are talking fractions of an inch in overall dimensions.

As far as what Apple expects people that prefer a big device with a small screen (screen size vs phone size) to do, probably just like Apple has always expected, deal with it.

People want Apple to make a 24" Mac again. How many years has it been now?

Apple, like all companies will produce products that sell and right now thats larger screened devices.

16. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

This is pretty much what I see happening. I believe this year will be more simple than last year.

The iPhone 6 will be the flagship, then the 5s as it is right now $99, then the. 5c for free. If the 5.5" iPhone comes out I think it will start a different product line all together.

17. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

Yep. And I think they're predicting people to grow to accept the 4.7" size to a degree even the customers themselves don't believe today, and so are already planning to eventually fade the 4" line out completely.

Besides, that 0.7" is actually not that huge of a difference when it comes to keeping the phone in a pocket or handling it with one hand. And certainly it is an unproportionally small change compared to how much that extra screen area improves the device in terms of how useful and enjoyable it is.

A small minority will of course keep whining forever about how 4" is the biggest they can use and 4.7" being ridiculously large, "tablet size", impossible to use with one hand and what have you. But they won't be numerous enough to affect Apple's sales, and so will ultimately be ignored.

18. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

I agree. I had the HTC One with a 4.7" screen and had no problem at all putting it in a pocket. However, that .7" difference was huge for viewability.

19. iOSaddict macrumors regular

I'm praying Apple will keep the iPhone 5S design and give it an upgrade along side the iphone 6. I'm sick of big phones and Android.

----------

Wow talk about condescending.

20. Miguel Cunha macrumors 6502

Miguel Cunha

I Agree. That's the main reason for me not to buy iPhones with screens larger than the current size.
    Plus, I don't an iPhone yet.

21. Enabledobject macrumors 6502

Enabledobject

It's true though.

22. Miguel Cunha macrumors 6502

Miguel Cunha

I'm afraid that won't happen. I wish it would, though.

23. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Afraid they will not do too much to upgrade the 5 after the 6 is introduced. They will likely sell it for a while but it will not have some of the features you are likely to want.

24. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Asking for a smaller screen nowadays...

... is like wishing for flip-smartphones or physical keyboards.

They're out of style and impossible to find, unless you count the occasional one-off Samsung offering.

25. xreyuk macrumors member

I have an iPhone 5 and a HTC One M8 for work.

From what I've seen online, the iPhone 6 mould is the same size as the HTC One M8.

I cannot use the HTC One M8 with one hand, but I can use my iPhone 5 with one hand.

So yes, condescending indeed.