Smallest (least space and processor resources) windows-emulator for leopard?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by fairnymph, Feb 5, 2008.

1. fairnymph macrumors 6502

fairnymph

I bought an all in one printer (Lexmark x3470) advertised as being Os X compatible, it even SAYS IT HAS DRIVERS ON THE DISK, but this is a lie.

So, in order to print and scan with this machine, I need to emulate Windows. I have no desire to do anything other than scan and print, using the software provided on the printer's disk and adobe acrobat.

What is the program that will take up the least hard drive space, use the least power and memory, etc, and be easiest for me to set up?

I would get another printer, but I need this thing URGENTLY and also, due to space limitations, I need an all in one that is no larger than 15" on any side, and also flatbed scanning, and that is very hard to find!

Thank you for ANY help, I am very angry and upset right now.

2. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

According to the website for the Lexmark x3470 the size specs are:

11.0" height x 14.8" width x 20.8" depth

The highly popular and fully OS X compatible Canon MP610 Pixma on the other hand is:

7.4" height x 15.3" width x 17.7" depth

Are you sure you couldn't deal with the extra .3" over 15" width for a fully Mac compatible and incredibly well-reviewed machine that is much smaller in all other specs?

That's what I would do in your situation anyway. Running emulated Windows just to be able to print to a printer is not worth the hassle for me personally. You need to own a copy of Windows for one and then you will not be able to easily print Mac documents from the Windows driver anyway.

I have a Canon MP960 and it is the finest printer I've ever owned. PC Magazine loves the MP610 and you will find a ton of glowing reviews from owners of them here in these forums.

3. fairnymph thread starter macrumors 6502

fairnymph

It can't be longer than 15" on ANY side. So it's the 17+" on the one you suggested that make it totally unworkable for me. It simply won't fit on my desk, or anywhere else in my tiny apt. :(

And those lexmark specs are wrong. The longest mine is on any side is just under 15". The depth is NOT 20"+.

4. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Well it does say "with the tray extended" so I suppose it is possible the tray is 5 or 6 inches. I did read what you said about no longer than 15" on any side but then saw the listed specs on the Lexmark and thought maybe it was just the width you were most concerned with.

I think either Parallels or VMware Fusion could probably accomplish what it is you are seeking to do but in neither case do I know of any way that you can print directly to the Windows driver from OS X. You will need to save the file on the OS X side then open it for printing in a similar app in Windows.

Good luck.