Smallest quality AirPlay receiver compatible with iPhone 8+?

Farrgazer

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2017
I make regular overnight hotel stays, but I prefer packing as light as possible, so that eliminates the Apple TV.

I’d like to be able to stream shows from Outplayer or VLC (open to other similar offline video players that don’t require conversion on my part). I would also like to play some RPGs on the big screen - lag isn’t an issue here. My budget is very flexible as long as product quality is guaranteed. Ideally I’d like something the size of the Chromecast, and my research shows that the Chromecast is not very flexible with iOS devices.

parker5011

macrumors member
May 17, 2018
I make regular overnight hotel stays, but I prefer packing as light as possible, so that eliminates the Apple TV.

I’d like to be able to stream shows from Outplayer or VLC (open to other similar offline video players that don’t require conversion on my part). I would also like to play some RPGs on the big screen - lag isn’t an issue here. My budget is very flexible as long as product quality is guaranteed. Ideally I’d like something the size of the Chromecast, and my research shows that the Chromecast is not very flexible with iOS devices.
Amazon fire stick works well

Farrgazer

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2017
Amazon fire stick works well
I looked this up and it looks promising, but it has led to a second question. Regardless of what product I buy, I need an internet connection and practically every hotel I’ve been to has a capture page - something that some devices may not play nicely with. Could I make a connection with a router that isn’t connected to WAN?