Smallest ssd for mac pro 13 help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by david19801, Oct 26, 2012.

1. david19801 macrumors member

Hello,

I want to change my macbook pro to ssd. I just use it for internet so I don't need large storage. I have been told the macbook pro 13 has two hard drives. One for os and one for files, i have not opened mine yet. Is this true?

I just want speed and can only get one ssd.

What is the smallest size ssd i can put in the macbook pro 13 that will work?

Thank you.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, all MacBook Pros came with only one drive: either a HDD or a SSD, depending on the model. The new fusion drive is a combination of a HDD and a SSD, and is available on iMacs and Mac minis.

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

4. david19801 thread starter macrumors member

Is there a 32gb ssd? If i can find an ssd with 32gb will that work? What about 16gb? What is the minimum you would recommend?

I see ssds have different read and write speeds. Are these actual or just fake for advertising? Should i just choose the ssd with fastest read or fastest write?

Thank you!

5. bob7up macrumors newbie

I have no idea what the size of ML is so it would be safe to purchase a 64GB.

The Read/Write speeds are real and tested by the company, but most of the time it is under controlled conditions say average room temp (ex: 21c). Also that is max speeds so say if it says 540MB/s and you get 520MB/s it is not false advertising.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

How much space are you currently using and what are you planing on storing on this drive? I'd think 60 GB would be my minimum for a standard home machine, but that number goes up quickly depending on what you are using it for.

7. david19801 thread starter macrumors member

I only use it for internet. No movies or music or any file storage at all. Just fresh boot and use internet.

8. idunn macrumors 6502

Expensive pennies

;) You might try something with some actual storage space.

32GB and below would be ridiculous, as basically having space only for the OS. 128GB is pushing one's luck, and unless really devoted to iCloud, or really storing nothing at all, you may quickly find yourself in the position of many another—and short on storage when initially never thinking that would happen.

Despite what Apple may be pawning off in some of their low-end offerings, 256GB is a far more realistic size to aim for. Check the price, and not even twice as much as the Crucial 128GB SSD. If one is counting pennies, then of course every one counts. But if that tight on cash, have you considered how you intend to back up the system in a second place, the expenses involved with that, as well as any number of other associated costs?

Aside from the costs of today, the greater one could lie in cheaping out and soon regretting it.

9. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Get the Crucial m4 - 64GB

10. david19801 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for all the advice guys!

I have chosen to get a 128gb crucial m4. I chose 128 over 64 because it is double the size but just 50% more in price.

Thanks again everyone. I hope it fits!