Smallest town or village in your region

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 63dot, Apr 13, 2009.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Where I live, Northern California, there are two cities listed with a population of zero, Little Grass Valley and Almanor. Many towns and cities in the northern half of the state have fewer than 100 people.

Of course we also have San Jose, which to my knowledge has SCADS of people ;)

Where are your small towns/villages?

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

3. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

maybe maine? I dont really know. I live in one of the most densely populated islands on earth. (Manhattan)

4. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Who said Manhattan is an island anymore? Can't you walk across the hardened oil and floating garbage around Manhattan and walk to surrounding areas, you know, like a land bridge of sorts? ;)

5. bentley macrumors 6502

I live next to the smallest town in England, Bashall Town. It's smaller than most villages with a population of <100 .

My village is small, maybe 15 houses or so.

6. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

In Alberta there is TONS of little farm towns, but i could never name them off the top of my head

7. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Dinino is just about 10 miles of St. Andrews and has 3 houses, a School and a Church it's population is 8. 3 Children attend the School.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The smallest named region closest to me is our house/land. It used to contain 6 small houses and so became a pob. So that would be a population of 5.

There are small villages dotted around these hills; Pob Green, Diglea, Hartshead all have less than 10 houses each.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_Life_Acres

I have no idea what the hell it is to be honest. I know it's just one street with some houses on it. I don't think it's a real city, it's just a bunch of rich people who have nothing better to do with their money than become a separate village. I drive past it on my way to work...well, I guess I should say I drive past the gated entrance they use to keep filthy middle class beggars like myself out :rolleyes:

10. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

According to Wikipedia, it's a little town called Bicknell, Utah. Population 353! Funny thing is that my Aunt and Uncle used to live there, it was nice.

But I happen to know about the city of Scofield, Utah which has a population of 26!

I've been there once, it's on the shore of a reservoir, and the site of a terrible mining accident during the 19th century. Dust in a coal mine ignited and caused the main mine shaft to serve as a very very large canon. Men and mining equipment were found 3 miles away on the other side of the valley apparently!

SLC

11. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

The smallest incorporated town in my county is Gila Bend with a little over 2k people, so says Wikipedia.

It's a bit difficult to think of another one nearby. I live in the Phoenix Metro area, which is made up entirely of sprawl. What used to be small towns is now just another part of the Phoenix Metro area. Although Gila Bend is about an hour and a half from me, there is very little open land between me and the town.

12. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The East Riding is predominately rural, and there are a lot of hamlets and even single homes dotted about. I wouldn't like to guess as to which is the smallest.

On the other end of the scale, just outside of Hull – and now to all extents and purposes a suburb, but don't tell the residents that as they get upset – is Cottingham, reckoned to be the largest village in England. It has a population of about 17,000.

13. Blakely028 macrumors regular

Blakely028

I live about 6 miles away from a village called Ashkirk, apparently it only has a population of just over 100.

That's something new I've learned today :rolleyes:

P.S. Found a small village called Roxburgh which only has a population of 70 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roxburgh)

14. bbbensen macrumors 6502

I think its Hana, about 47 miles away (according to Google Earth at least).

Its quite a little place. Aside from a few tourist attraction stuff, its very quite. It has about 700 people though, much bigger than some of yours. :p

15. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I live in Australia, most of our "towns" are just a pub and a post office and they're run by the couple that own the pub.

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Kyburz, California, approx. 110 miles east of Sacramento/40miles west of S. Lake Tahoe. Population 137.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyburz,_California

Note the inset picture at the right. Those 2 buildings are it. The sign on the far right building: "Welcome to Kyburz. Now leaving Kyburz."

BL.

17. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

With only two houses, you would think it would make some sense to put a little distance between them. :)

18. Saluki Alex macrumors 6502

The smallest town in my county back at home (I'm in college now) is the Village of New Grand Chain with a population of 233. I should also note that New Grand Chain is my hometown and my dad is actually the Mayor. :D

19. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Thurmond, West Virginia, population 7 according to the 2000 census. During the June 14, 2005 city elections, six of the city's seven residents sought elected office.