Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

truz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
Florida
Has anyone been watching smallville over the last few years? New one comes on tonight if you have never watched it (WB).

I searched for a smallville thread and did not see one, kinda shocked not seeing this show listed on here.

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
I used to watch Smallville religiously. ( I even have all the available seasons on DVD). But this season has just got away from me. I mean there was what, like a 3 month period with no new Smallville episodes so it kind of slipped from my mind. I don't even remember how this season started anymore.

But I sure will be buying the DVD of this season when it comes out this summer as in a whole Smallville is an awesome show. :D

truz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
Florida
I myself purchased the boxed sets. I have not missed any this season, but I have in the past and ended up catching them when I watched the entire season dvd's. Current one I'm missing is Season 4 and soon will be Season 5 once released. I have 1, 2 and 3 Seasons. I also have Lost Season 1 ;) would like to get my hands on a cheap copy (price wise) of thirdwatch on ebay. ;)

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
:)

After watching Aquaman and reading reviews on how Smallville was a much better show, I decided to give Smallville a try.

So here I am, watching the pilot episode of Smallville, and I love it! Sooo much better than the pilot episode of Aquaman. My interest in Smallville probably also piqued because of Superman Returns. :D

Hey! Smallville is actually quite good. My pre-conceived notions of it prevented me from ever wanting to watch it, until now.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Anyone catch Season 6 premiere of Smallville?

I caught a little bit of it (during commercial break from Survivor) and saw the part where Lex and Kal-El are duking it out in the woods. A lot of special effects!

I'm catching up on Smallville at the end of season 3 when Lana leaves for Paris, Lionel is sent off to jail, Clark ends his friendship with Lex so I was kind of like "WTF?" of the new season. Looks great and new intro too... Lex and Lana together!!?!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i've been keeply up with smallville. i've watched just about every episode. i made a thread about the new season (6), but i guess you missed it.*

i missed the beginning of the first episode (of season 6)....maybe i'll try to download it so i can watch it.*

so...yeah, i love smallville

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
It's hard for me..Smallville comes on at 8 and The Office at 8:30..I just bought the season pass for the Office so from now on I can watch Smallville and the Office the next day. Although Smallville is a show I would rather purchase as the episodes are more re-watchable. Smallville is a great show. I think it was around the end of season 4 beginning of season 5 it had new life breathed into it. It's when they started going with the original Superman plotline more it got really good.

My favorite memories from Season 5 (I haven't seen all of them yet): at the end of what I think is the season 5 premiere, Lana says, "I meant every word," and the Depeche Mode "Precious" song cuts in and the camera has a steady shot through all these hallways ending with the spaceship and the special effects of the professor morphing out of the droplets.

And then, this sounds rather macabre, but the funeral (I won't say for whom in case it's a spoiler for those who haven't seen), but the entire funeral scene is so beautiful. There's like a white haze in front of the camera, and the snow is falling so softly on the farm animals and the characters are in slow motion and with Lex and Lionel there is so much said without any words through their movement. Plus the timeless song "I Grieve" by Peter Gabriel is playing.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I Tivo Earl and the Office. Smallville is a guilty pleasure. No where near as good as Buffy or Angel, but better than Charmed (also a guilty pleasure). There have been some really bad episodes, which kinda sucks because I was a big comic book fan when I was younger, but I can take it for what it is and it's still better than most of the other crap out there.

I like where they're going so far this season. Even if they screwed up the Jimmy Olsen thing, they already mentioned Chloe "dated" him and it'll be interesting to see what happens. Really looking forward to seeing where the Green Arrow thing goes. The Aquaman series looked ok, but not great. He's supposed to make an appearance again too. Still waiting to see Batman.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
solvs said:
I Tivo Earl and the Office. Smallville is a guilty pleasure. No where near as good as Buffy or Angel, but better than Charmed (also a guilty pleasure). There have been some really bad episodes, which kinda sucks because I was a big comic book fan when I was younger, but I can take it for what it is and it's still better than most of the other crap out there.

I like where they're going so far this season. Even if they screwed up the Jimmy Olsen thing, they already mentioned Chloe "dated" him and it'll be interesting to see what happens. Really looking forward to seeing where the Green Arrow thing goes. The Aquaman series looked ok, but not great. He's supposed to make an appearance again too. Still waiting to see Batman.
I only saw Jimmy in one quick scene. How'd they mess him up? I could see Leo DiCaprio making a good Jimmy (thinking of his pauper look from Titanic). He might steal the scenes though. ;)

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
swingerofbirch said:
How'd they mess him up?
He's supposed to be a lot younger. Apparently Chloe lost her virginity to him, and she's the same age as Clark, so he's probably about the same age. Not a big deal, like I said, none of us should be looking for continuity.

Would be nice if Clark wore glasses though. Especially after they had an in for him to start in an episode a couple of seasons ago. Got kryptonite in his eye or something.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
I'm halfway through season 4 and my surprise when I caught the opening credits of season 6 and there's Lana kissing Lex. :eek: Ok, Smallville up to my point it's been really great! but the moment the leads start have relationships with each other (ie. Friends, Melrose) the series starts to jump the shark!

Oh btw, Lionel Luthor is my favourite character in Smallville.

ps. The Superman universe has a lot of characters whose initials are LL. ie. Lana Lang, Lois Lane, Lex Luthor, Lionel Luther, Lucy Lane, Linda Lee, etc.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Any show with a superhero can't be all bad. And Smallville is pretty good too.

The show's music comes from current artists (something they promote), the characters aren't too far a stretch for the grown-up ones they are to turn into, and it was clever of them to use the idea that the "green rocks" can cause weird mutations in people so they can make up any old wacky story line they like to give Clark some regular adversaries. It was also clever to have Lex be Clark's (sorta) friend.

I'm not sure how people who didn't watch the show last season could make any sense of the first episode this season. And that might have been true for previous season as well too.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If you watch the season premier of this show without watching at least the last show of the previous season then you would be lost without a doubt. It would be considered stupid I'm sure and since the point wouldn't be gotten that viewer probably would not be hooked. I make an effort to ensure I watch the season finale of the last season right before I watch the season premier of the new season just so I do not forget. Sometimes show have 6 months between their new seasons and I tend to turn off and forget.

This season premier was actually quite decent. They're going to really have to start making Lex into the adversary now unless they plan to move this out for 10 years. That wouldn't be all that bad, but once it overlaps everything we already saw it may not be as good. It's hard to say.

They've eluded to the Lois/Clark love interest thing, that'll probably come close to unfolding this season and then pop next season I bet. Who knows, they may really develop Jimmy and phase out decent Lex for bad Lex. Either way they cannot do it all this season or they're setting themselves up for roadblocks in the future.

I also see Lionel and Martha doing their thing, unless they bring back Luke Duke or whatever the dad's name is. ;)

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
jessica. said:
They've eluded to the Lois/Clark love interest thing, that'll probably come close to unfolding this season and then pop next season I bet.
I hope so. They eluded to this as far back as the first episode of season four. I like Lois' character as portrayed in Smallville so much more than Lana. Lana is such a bitch!

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
My friend down the hall got me hooked on it a few weeks ago. I borrowed his DVDs and am already halfway throught the 3rd season. I never really watched it when it was on the WB, because when I saw the commercials and that it was on the WB, I kinda didn't want to watch it because it seemed like it would be boring and preachy. But now that I've seen it, I really like it.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I watched it too, but I was a little lost since I didn't see what preceded it. A cliffhanger from last season, I presume. But I like the way that they differentiated good Clark and evil Clark in manner and voice. Just the right sneer so you'd know evil Clark was a bad guy.

The last scene in this episode reminded me of Sydney Bristow in Alias, waking up and discovering she had been missing for 2 years. Now that was a shocking cliffhanger!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I watched it too, but I was a little lost since I didn't see what preceded it. A cliffhanger from last season, I presume. But I like the way that they differentiated good Clark and evil Clark in manner and voice. Just the right sneer so you'd know evil Clark was a bad guy.

The last scene in this episode reminded me of Sydney Bristow in Alias, waking up and discovering she had been missing for 2 years. Now that was a shocking cliffhanger!

yeah, i could see how you would be a little lost. even though there's a short preview before it started, it wasn't too much.

you know that "bizarro" was a character in the superman cartoon/comic? they didn't just make up the "bad clark", even though in the cartoon i've been told that bizarro really isn't that bad, he's actually just kinda dumb. (my brother watches cartoons, or used to)

but yeah, you could tell in his voice. they did a pretty good job with it

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Smallville must have a pretty sizable special effects budget.

Is Lionel Luther a good guy or a bad guy these days? Or an "unknown quantity?"

In earlier seasons, they used to have featured music on the show (promotional tie-ins, of course), but they haven't done that recently, perhaps since the WB-UPN merger.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Smallville must have a pretty sizable special effects budget.

Is Lionel Luther a good guy or a bad guy these days? Or an "unknown quantity?"

In earlier seasons, they used to have featured music on the show (promotional tie-ins, of course), but they haven't done that recently, perhaps since the WB-UPN merger.

yeah, i've always liked their special effects....it's come a long way.

Lionel is kinda in-between a bad guy and good guy. he was bad, now he's good

you might not have noticed, but they had a song playing at the end of the show. i think they still have the music, but maybe i'm wrong

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.