Smart A** Grandkids

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TomT321, Jan 11, 2010.

1. TomT321 macrumors member

My Grand Son and a friend of his recently visited and somehow they changed the appearance of my display. At the top of the screen I used to have a bar that showed what web site I was on and if I wanted to change web sites I just had to type in the new web site I wanted. Now there is a grey stripe that only shows my favs and the forward and reverse arrows. Not very tech savvy so the terms may not be the correct ones, but would appreciate any guidance as how to return to the previous settings. :mad:

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If it is Safari, go to View on the menu and select "custom toolbar" and add it back

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Now would be a good time to suggest creating a new user account specifically for them. That will also allow you to make use of the excellent Parental Controls features in the System Preferences to lock them out of certain things. They'll have their own account (moderated by you) and therefore can't mess up your own account.

4. TomT321 thread starter macrumors member

Dragging Worked

Thanks one and all for the help, dragging from the customized tool bar in View did the trick, as for the custom control for visitors I have decided that NO ONE will ever touch my computer again except me. Hate to be that way but I swear every time I have ever let anyone else touch my computer it has been an ordeal to get it back the way it was.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If you decide you want to set up a different user account so no on can mess with your settings, check this out..

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8235.html

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

always a good idea to have a basic account for everybody-but-you ;)

even i dont use the admin account on my computer! i dont trust myself lol.

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Also a good idea from a security standpoint, since it prevents inadvertently running an app as admin, limiting the potential damage of malicious software.

Unfortunately, I'm too lazy for this. ;)

8. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Nah I'm the sort of the same way. Unless they are under close supervision by me, no one other than myself can use my computer.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

very effective from a security standpoint - you always get prompted for the admin password for important changes. i really like that idea.

i do this on my old MBP, but havent done this on my i7 iMac and am too lazy to create a new user account that i will need to modify all over again to my liking haha! :rolleyes:

10. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

I understand what you are talking about. Some people can be rather self-centered and change things to the way they like it even though it's not their computer. I've always been taught to return things the way you found them when using other people's stuff.

11. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

So enable the guest account. It's not hard, and it trashes any changes the guest makes, inadvertently or otherwise, after they log out.

12. NewRevolution88 macrumors member

hmm...do you not usually get prompted for a password to make changes when in an admin account? My regular account is the admin but get prompted for a password when I make big enough changes.

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

sorry, i shouldnt have said "important changes", more "any changes" lol.

e.g. installing software (registering serials etc on certain programs), turning on/off the firewall or filevault etc. the list goes on really - i dont consider those to be "important" (well maybe the firewall lol), but they are good to have people locked out of.

14. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

I always have a "test" account on my Macs to see if problems in the main account are duplicated there.

Plus, if the computer ever needs servicing, the Apple tech can be provided with the test account name and password.