Smart Battery Case for iPhone 11 Pro

gbf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2019
Why doesn’t my smart battery case for my iPhone 11 Pro charge with the old 5 watt charging brick. I have to use the new iPhone 11 Pro brick. Any ideas?

Shadowbech

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2011
Apple iPhone World
I'm fairly certain that it should. Do you have the phone in your case? is the 5W charging the phone? With the smart battery case on, if you are using the 5W, it will charge the phone first and once the phone is fully charged then it will start charging up the SBC.

You need something greater than 5W in order to charge both at the same time. More likely you need a charging brick that is a PD, then it will charge the phone and the case at the same time.

Reactions: compwiz1202

compwiz1202

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
I'm fairly certain that it should. Do you have the phone in your case? is the 5W charging the phone? With the smart battery case on, if you are using the 5W, it will charge the phone first and once the phone is fully charged then it will start charging up the SBC.

You need something greater than 5W in order to charge both at the same time. More likely you need a charging brick that is a PD, then it will charge the phone and the case at the same time.
Yes we just got them last night and noticed this. What is the max wattage they will accept together. It's definitely at least 18W because our one charger that shows the V and A in use was showing around 18W (9V/2A). The 30W wall charger was definitely charging them quickly. Did I read there are iPhone apps again that will let you see the charging rate? Although that will probably only show for the phone. I need to find one of those attachments that show the power draw.

bwb

macrumors regular
May 25, 2004
I measured this a couple weeks ago with a usb ammeter, iPhone 11 (non-pro). If the phone and battery case are sufficiently low, I saw 30W charging which is a little insane.