Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I can’t wait until the day you take your car for a cam belt change and they tell you that the engine is sealed and you need a new car.

They actually do this with some of the newer CVT transmissions. I had a friend with one of those Mini's and the entire transaxle must be replaced. $5000 repair. It's why I avoid certain cars and will not buy new unless the tech is proven.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
$30 bucks for a bit driver kit!?! https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Parts/64-Bit-Driver-Kit/IF145-299-1

What's so great about it? Just because it's got a blue cap on it. Sheesh these guys and their iSheepit. Just go to harbor freight and get the same set for $6. (If you're enraged at me by this point, please realize I'm using iFixit's logic on it's own products like they do to Apple's products....meta.)

Overall a good teardown. The commentary is still annoying. Or should I say the "commentary" by the "technician" "tearing down" the product and "writing" about it is annoying. o_O

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Water is wet,

Got it!

I still appreciate iFixit's overall purpose, of providing DIY folks instructions on how to repair things that can actually be repaired. And allowing the community to upload step by steps for not-too-common items.

The repairability rating has become clickbait it seems, for both iFixit and Macrumors.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
And chains wear and stretch over time so they aren't perfect either. There are plenty of issues there. As I said, every single vehicle manufacture uses belts. Chains are only used on a small number of vehicles.

Nope. The Camry went to chain in 2012. Corolla has been chain since 1998. Honda Civic has been chain since 2006. The smaller Accord engine is chain since 2003. So "small number of vehicles" is plain wrong.

Chains will fail but they are considered a lifetime item. By the time the chain is worn, the car is not worth fixing.

jozero

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
Why do these tear downs keep getting press ?

Crazy Insane Prediction. Are You Ready For This !! : NO APPLE PRODUCT HAS AN EASY TO REMOVE BATTERY FOR THE LAST HALF DECADE (except that crappy macbook pro with the cd drive they keep around for some reason).

I'm going to start announcing press releases stating THIS APPLE PRODUCT DOES NOT HAVE A CRT MONITOR.
0 / 10 on the CRT MONITOR SCALE.

Reactions: jpgr15 and dBeats

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
The other thing about these battery cases they fail to mention is they really drain out your original iPhone battery since it's also charging and never lets the original battery completely run down to 1 -5 % Prepare to replace your original iPhone battery much quicker than if you didn't use this case.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA

Crazy Insane Prediction. Are You Ready For This !! : NO APPLE PRODUCT HAS AN EASY TO REMOVE BATTERY FOR THE LAST HALF DECADE (except that crappy macbook pro with the cd drive they keep around for some reason).

I'm going to start announcing press releases stating THIS APPLE PRODUCT DOES NOT HAVE A CRT MONITOR.
People read the press and comment on it. When a story like this gets few hits and fewer comments, then "press" will eventually lose its appeal for Macrumors and other sites.

Obviously enough people think this stuff is interesting, or entertaining. Many of them don't care about "repairability" scores, but look to iFixIt to learn details about Apple product components that Apple itself doesn't see fit to share, such as the battery capacity numbers or the size of the RAM module in an iPhone.

You can try your press release gambit and see if it takes off.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
The other thing about these battery cases they fail to mention is they really drain out your original iPhone battery since it's also charging and never lets the original battery completely run down to 1 -5 % Prepare to replace your original iPhone battery much quicker than if you didn't use this case.

Batteries don't have to be run down completely. That's a myth.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Ifixit tear downs are a good read to see how it all come together, though they might as well just get rid of the repair ability score. It's all 1 or 2 from here onwards.

Tim cooks Apple products are replaceable, upgrade/repair is gone. For most people that's fine.

Apple care is more important than ever before. Was shocked how much a iPad pro screen cost...

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Nope. The Camry went to chain in 2012. Corolla has been chain since 1998. Honda Civic has been chain since 2006. The smaller Accord engine is chain since 2003. So "small number of vehicles" is plain wrong.

Chains will fail but they are considered a lifetime item. By the time the chain is worn, the car is not worth fixing.

Absolutely not true. I had a chain stretch and throw on a 1998 Corolla with 127K miles on it. The car had another 100K miles left on it at least. The chain was replaced (along with the intake valve that was bent when the piston hit it).

Chains wear out, and need to be replaced. Difference is that replacing a chain requires cracking open the engine. Belts do not.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

That crappy MacbookPro is much faster when you add an SSD, completely useable.

LithiumIon does not have a memory effect like some other batteries have.

Lithium Ion Batteries don't have to be run down completely. That's a myth.

Fixed that for you.

But not completely true, the electronics need to know what empty is, you can calibrate it by running it completely empty once in a while so you can fully use the whole charge.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Is it wrong that my first thought was, "I can't believe they spent the time and money to do this"?
I can't believe Apple is so greedy they just had to create this dreadful looking accessory to begin with.

Now there's no doubt about just how far Apple will go, to in order to grab all the money.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
And why would it cost so much to replace the battery? Oh right, because it's built that way intentionally.

You honestly think they went out of their way to make the battery hard to replace? It's FAR more likely that they simply designed it to be as compact as possible which just happened to make it more difficult to replace.

Current technology isn't designed to try to make it hard to repair. It's just designed to be as compact as possible which happens to make the other case true. No one at Apple or any other company goes into product design with the priority to make it difficult to repair. That impacts their own ability to repair these items too and costs them more money.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
I've use ifixit guides several times to extend the life of Macs. I consult them when making a new purchase to see whether I'm going to be able to upgrade the RAM and hard drive on a machine myself down the road. What exactly is your problem with that? That they also sell tools? So ***** what. They're useful tools.

I appreciate that I can go to someone like iFixit or OWC and get parts and instructions to keep my stuff running. I put an SSD into my 2011 Mac Mini and made it vastly quicker and extended its useful life by probably 2 years. I used an iFixit guide to do that.

Or is your problem that you think they're "Apple bashing" because they're holding them accountable for unnecessarily locking down their products to keep you buying their very expensive upgrades at the time or purchase, or buying a new computer every two years?

In case you have purposely ignored the last several YEARS of Apple releases, they have moved to unibody sealed devices. It happened a long time ago. Virtually all current products have you spec it out at the beginning and you can't alter them later. For the past, what, 3 years we've had repeated postings about iFixit and their complaints about Apple using glue instead of screws, and then giving them a low rating. It's incredibly repetitive and brings nothing new to the Apple discussion anymore. The ship sailed a long time ago.

They were okay back in the day, but nowadays if you want something that you can add and remove modules to easily, you're better off with another brand. I don't care about them Apple bashing. What I do take issue with is the fact that every time (we're on about the 20th write-up of this type now) they act like it's a surprise. It's always going to be a 1 or 2. That's the direction Apple went, and if you haven't caught on by now, that's on you. As for your assertion that Apple is "being held accountable," that's laughable. Apple makes business decisions, and the MARKET holds them accountable. People are fine with their decisions, clearly. They don't have to cater to you or iFixit if they don't want to. If you don't like it, buy something else.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
The entire site is a rating on whether or not they can sell you a kit. Here's a link: https://www.ifixit.com/
So what?

A kit - or with some initiative your own tools - is still loads cheaper than getting a device fixed out of warranty or buying new alltogether.

Meanwhile, where's your complaint that Apple makes moves that will move you towards doing DIY repairs that are unnecessarily complicated, like soldered on RAM (close to impossible to fix) or HDDs with proprietary temperature sensors and cables needed?

Yeah, I'll take iFixit getting ad revenue and the occasional tool sale (you really don't need THEIR tools to follow their howtos) over Apple getting away uncommented with their shady tactics and design decisions.

Glassed Silver:ios

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
No **** sherlock! iFixit really need to up their game, as these teardown's that state the bleeding obvious are becoming a little tedious and just a waste of, in this case, a questionable product.

Who would have guessed the pencil would also be unusable if you took it apart?

thewap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2012
I've use ifixit guides several times to extend the life of Macs. I consult them when making a new purchase to see whether I'm going to be able to upgrade the RAM and hard drive on a machine myself down the road. What exactly is your problem with that? That they also sell tools? So ***** what. They're useful tools.

I appreciate that I can go to someone like iFixit or OWC and get parts and instructions to keep my stuff running. I put an SSD into my 2011 Mac Mini and made it vastly quicker and extended its useful life by probably 2 years. I used an iFixit guide to do that.

Or is your problem that you think they're "Apple bashing" because they're holding them accountable for unnecessarily locking down their products to keep you buying their very expensive upgrades at the time or purchase, or buying a new computer every two years?

I agree - couldn't have said it better, but I think Apple now caters to a generation that really has no clue how to repair anything, which is a perfect business model for Apple justifying waste for profit.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Chains wear out, and need to be replaced. Difference is that replacing a chain requires cracking open the engine. Belts do not.

Untrue. New European timing belt designs, such as the Ford Ecoboost 1.0 and small VW engines, use belt-in-oil technology. This is for fuel economy reasons. The difference is minor in any case, instead of removing a plastic timing belt cover, you remove a plastic timing chain cover with a seal on it. The expense in both cases is removing all the accessories that sit in front of it.

JimmyHook

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2015
Really iFixIt??? A battery case? I'm way more concerned if it's recyclable than repairable. How many people shop for such small accessories based on how well they can MacGyver it back together if it fails (and they don't use the warranty for some reason)? Lame site.

JimmyHook

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2015
I can't believe Apple is so greedy they just had to create this dreadful looking accessory to begin with.

Now there's no doubt about just how far Apple will go, to in order to grab all the money.
How does greed correlate with selling a case??? You lost me on that one. "Apple is so greedy. I can't believe they sell things! Rabble rabble rabble".

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Is this a joke? The thing is hardly more than a battery... You replace the battery by replacing the case.

Reactions: Arran

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
My issue with today's crop of battery cases is that they don't fit the iPhone 6 properly. Either the bottom is closed meaning you can use the lightening cable or the headphone jack is so narrow that you need an adapter to use the headphone. I have several cases and for some reason the iPhone 6 Generation case designs have been terrible. I had mophie packs for the 5 and 4s and those fit perfectly and let you still use the iPhone cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.