SMART Board and the IPad

thursty

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
Sell your SMART Shares

I believe that IOS 5 for the iPad will replace smart boards in classrooms. Thank you APPLE for saving our schools thousands of dollars. At over $5K per smart board (excluding install) they were just too expensive. Now we can invest the savings on the students (more field trips and sports), let's get them out of the classroom and learning real life adventures.

Not sure if this is possible, as in BC, Canada the teachers are constantly on strike...... over wages of course. Who cares about the children anyways....

acrahm

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2007
I believe that IOS 5 for the iPad will replace smart boards in classrooms. Thank you APPLE for saving our schools thousands of dollars. At over $5K per smart board (excluding install) they were just too expensive. Now we can invest the savings on the students (more field trips and sports), let's get them out of the classroom and learning real life adventures.

Not sure if this is possible, as in BC, Canada the teachers are constantly on strike...... over wages of course. Who cares about the children anyways....
what does IOS5 do that will replace smart boards? i work on a campus and we are trying to find ways to wiresless use ipads to display content on the board/screens and i cant seem to find a concrete way to do so

Mervynlowe

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2011
The END of Boards

Hi Guys, as I see near future, once you have Ipad connected to a projector why will you need to use an expensive and bulky IWB Interactive white board?.

My feeling is that Smart will not enable such option any time soon...once we can make anotations on the Tablet ( Ipad or Android), the need for the board automatically is going to be dimnished...What we will keep needing are projectors!.

Today wireless projectors are already being used in several schools, the only barrier is Video Streaming in real time still not available. The day WIFI or Bluetooth becomes enough strong to stream videos in real time then we will finally be "FREE" !.

Hope this day comes soon!!!

AA786

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2011
UK
Forgive me if I am wrong, but doesn't iOS5 allow streaming and mirroring from an iPad to an Apple TV connected Projector?

If so, an Apple TV connected to a projector means a school teacher can wirelessly mirror his/her iPad from the back of the classroom onto a big projected screen?. Considering an Apple TV and Projector costs a whole lot less than an IWB, some schools may even start seeing this as an Interactive White Board replacement solution.

Exciting times for schools using iPads !?

Mcclure

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
I'm doing exactly that. I have an iPad 2, Apple TV, and projector with HDMI input and have no interest in getting a Smart board. I would be interested in Smart releasing an app so I can load Smart Notebook lessons. Right now I just export my Smart Notebook lessons to pdf and then open them in the note taking app that I find best at the time.

It also works great with a graphing calculator app, and keynote. If the app itself doesn't have a way to export the screen I just take screenshots and then open them up in the note taking app so I can annotate over top of them. It really has changed the way I work in the classroom. I'm mobile, interactive, and the students can write on the iPad a lot easier than they could write on any of the interactive slates.

I'm trying to get my school/district to stop buying Smart boards and start investing in this technology. I figure for $1300-$1500 we can have a mobile interactive experience and they get the iPad out of the deal.

Sixtafoua

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2009
Boston, MA
If so, an Apple TV connected to a projector means a school teacher can wirelessly mirror his/her iPad from the back of the classroom onto a big projected screen?
Yes, but what's even more exciting is that students will also be able to mirror their iPads onto the projector. Some schools are giving students iPads to replace notebooks and paper, and so if a school were to have a projector and apple TV, students would be able to show their work on the projector as examples for other students. This brings a whole new aspect of interactivity to schools.

Mcclure

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
I actually had a problem with students mirroring their iOS devices. I needed to password the Air Play feature because of anyone in the building being able to steal the Apple TV from me. Students didn't even know what the Air Play button was on their iPods/iPhones, but I probably had 5-8 songs get put on the Apple TV while I was trying to use it, and these weren't even students in my class. It would be interesting in a class where 30 students had iPads and anyone could project.

I also forgot to mention in my previous post that with the camera on the iPad it almost works as a document camera as well. I'm able to take pictures of students work and then have a student or myself annotate over top of the image in the app. I've tried using my iPhone to take the pictures with and then photo stream them to the iPad but I found it to be a little slow at times.

Mcclure

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
I have pretty much every note taking app. I really like UPad and Notetaker HD right now. They keep updating them so it does change between a few others.

Mikhailov

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
I thought I would use my personal experience to actually answer the question:

iPad 2 and iPhone 4s can mirror to a SMART Board using the VGA to 30 Pin connector. iPad 1 and iPhone 4 cannot, but can use apps that support VGA out. The touch interface of the SMART Board is currently incompatible because there is no way to connect the USB cable. It is great for mirroring iPad educational programs though.

Also, SMART is working on an iPad app, but that's all I know. Nothing about ETA or what it will contain.

trapper1204

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2008
Wait a minute!

I am looking for a solution to display IOS 5/Android and Apps on a large screen, that can be manipulated by touching the large screen.

In my example an iPhone, iPad, Android device would be connected to the smart board, out of sight.

I could demo the OS, and Apps, by having customers directly accessing the smart board.

Is this possible.
Can the apple TV be connected to the smart board, and then have the IOS 5 mirroring enabled...will a user be able interact with the IOS via the smart board?

bugmatic

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2008
iPads will not replace SMART Boards. They are a complementary technology fulfilling a different role and adding unique capabilities to the classroom. The SMART Board is great for large-scale collaboration; the iPad is a more personal device. That's not to say either is restricted to those uses. I have found that the iPad is a great second display when using a SMART Board. The iPad connects to the iMac using Air Display or a similar app and allows control of the SMART Notebook software from the iPad. Essentially, the iPad becomes a wireless slate, but being able to write/touch on the display is simpler for young students and uncoordinated teachers.

As an Ed. Professional who trains teachers daily, I use iPad, iMac, MacBook Pro, SMART Board and *gasp* even a Windows laptop. All these devices are used to complement the capabilities of the others. Simply replacing one technology with another is to not properly understand the nature of teaching with technology. I seem to recall a similar idea floating around in the late 90s that suggested laptops would replace desktop PCs. Desktop sales may have declined slightly as a percentage, but it would be ridiculous to suggest that there is no reason for anyone to buy a desktop. Likewise, the iPad will not replace the laptop or the SMART Board or the iPhone or the notepad and pen. There's room for them all - the trick is knowing which device will help you reach your goals the most efficiently.

Mcclure

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
I don't think an iPad replaces a SMART board, but at the same time with the budget constraints right now if a secondary school had to choose between a SMART board or an iPad with Apple TV and a projector, I would go with the iPad option. As of right now SMART boards are overpriced for the technology. Their projectors are some of the worst I have seen (my school uses the short throw projectors).

For an elementary classroom I would probably take a SMART board (actually a Promethian) over the iPad setup, but not in high school.

My school recently purchased a small set of iPads for group work in the classroom and there are some interesting collaboration apps out there that allow all the iPads to work on the same document (whiteboard apps). This is something that I think will allow the iPad to start to take even more of the market away from SMART.

I really hope SMART does come out with an App soon, I just hope that it works well. There are a lot of note taking apps that have been out for a while that SMART will need to compete with.