Smart case for 2017 iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by aartoodeetoo, Mar 22, 2017.

1. aartoodeetoo macrumors newbie

hi

I've sold my old iPad 3, and will be ordering a 2017 iPad on Friday. I'd like an apple smart case (not Smart Cover) for it - the only ones available from Apple are for the iPad Air 2... anyone got any idea if they'll fit?

2. profets macrumors 68040

The iPad Air 2 cases definitely won't fit the 2017 iPad.

I had checked as well, mainly because I was hoping for an Apple case that I could use for my son's iPad Air. Looks like only a Smart Cover is available though.

3. jstein6 macrumors newbie

I'm also buying the new iPad and want a case instead of just the cover. There doesn't appear to be any 3rd party cases on launch. I love the leather smart cases for iPad air1/2 but it seems like apple has unfortunately transitioned to the 2 element case; smart cover and silicone back protector. What i'm wondering is if the iPad Air 1 smart case will fit, because the new iPad has the same dimensions as the Air 1

4. profets macrumors 68040

I had been trying to find an Apple leather smart case for my son's iPad Air but unfortunately couldn't find them anymore. Not only that, but they don't seem to even make a case + Smart Cover option either.

And yes - iPad Air (original) smart case should fit the 2017 iPad.

5. aartoodeetoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone seen ANY cases for the new iPads? Only one I've seen is the Apple Smart Cover - I'd prefer something a little more substantial!

6. BeatCrazy macrumors 65816

It'll fit, but the side buttons won't line up. 2017 iPad has no mute switch, so the volume buttons are positioned relatively higher.

7. mwidjaya macrumors newbie

8. karlegas, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017

karlegas macrumors newbie

I got those 2 from Amazon I will get on Friday with my iPad, those are Smart Cover Case maybe not so good like the Apple's but meantime you can use until get more options lower cost.

New iPad 2017 iPad 9.7 inch Case, ESR Ultra Slim Lightweight Smart Case Trifo... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X6LSBZ6/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_x_4Z92ybYXX6E49

New iPad 9.7 2017 Case, ESR Ultra Slim Lightweight Stand Case, Upgraded TPU B... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X41W16T/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_x_n1-2ybJ1GK0AY

Regards

Karl

Other Options

Poetic Slimline New iPad 9.7 Inch 2017 Case Slim-Fit Trifold Cover Stand Foli... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTCYLVK/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_x_24a3ybJE7SS4Q

Fintie New iPad 9.7 Inch 2017 Case - Ultra Slim Lightweight Smart Shell Stand... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRW7JWP/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_x_54a3ybW6913X6

9. shrestha macrumors newbie

The Wirecutter is recommending the CaseCrown Omni Case for IPAD AIR for this new iPad. The cutouts for ports, switches etc are fairly large, which could mean it should be good for any minor adjustments.

10. moxxham macrumors 6502

moxxham

- Nevermind - Was the cover

11. kawalerzysta, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017

kawalerzysta macrumors member

kawalerzysta

12. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

I just got a new 2017 iPad, an upgrade from my iPad Air 1.

The old iPad Air 1 cases fit perfectly.... EXCEPT the volume controls were moved up slightly so that the volume up is now 1/2 into the hole for the now non-existent volume lock. All I did was take a razor and cut out the up/down volume covers on the case to make one large hole. Now it works great.

You NEED to cut out this area if you're using the old cases, otherwise the volume up button is pressed in constantly, causing the volume to go to the top all the time.

All the other buttons/holes line up. The camera hole doesn't line up 'exactly', i.e. the hole isn't centered, but it isn't blocked, even partially, so it works fine.

13. aartoodeetoo thread starter macrumors newbie

I ordered one of these, based on your link - but oddly mine doesn't fit - the power button doesnt line up correctly, so the case keeps trying to turn the iPad off!! I've returned it to Amazon.

I'll find an iPad 1 smart cover on eBay and a sharp blade to customise it i think!!

14. kawalerzysta macrumors member

kawalerzysta

The one we received fits perfectly. All buttons and cutouts align perfectly. Might be the issue with Amazon fulfillment. The sticker on the package says iPad Air so maybe they messed up at the Amazon warehouse.

15. BeatCrazy macrumors 65816

I just bought a new-old-stock Air 1 genuine Smart Case for my 2017 iPad. I will use a Dremel tool or similar to widen the hole for the volume buttons. I'll try and remember to post pics.

16. mobilemedia75 macrumors newbie

We use the F4 by Innovative Care Products. It feels very substantial and durable and works with the 2017 9.7-inch iPad and other models. The smart cover magnet wakes/sleeps the new iPad and all cut outs align very well. It comes with a shoulder strap, but the strap is removable if you want:

F4 case for new 2017 iPad 9.7-inch

Matterport also recommends their iPad cases for their 3D camera system:

Matterport Link
    F4.JPG

17. aartoodeetoo thread starter macrumors newbie

In the end I got an iPad Air 1 smart case on eBay. It's great - the volume buttons don't line up, but it works all the same. The camera isn't quite in the middle of the hole in the case, but works perfectly all the same (does anyone really take photos on their iPad anyway?).

18. cobracnvt macrumors member

cobracnvt

________

I ordered one of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X6LSBZ6/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_x_4Z92ybYXX6E49 based on your recommendation. I'll get it on Tuesday. Have you received yours yet? If so, how do you like it?

19. cobracnvt macrumors member

cobracnvt

20. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

I have heard about some on amazon with varying degrees of success. I went with an air 1 case until the secondary market catches up.

21. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

Five minutes with an X-acto knife and 15 bucks gets you the best case available now. Definitely prefer the old silicone Smartcases though. Much easier to grip, better wearing than the delicate leather, and you can sanitize them thoroughly.

I honestly doubt I'll drop 80+ bucks on Apples updated version, if or when it arrives.

22. Arcontia macrumors regular

I have a feeling the Smart Case for the iPad line may have been discontinued for new iPad products due to popularity plummeting. The existing one the iPad Pro 9.7/12" received a lot, i mean, a lot, of criticism for how expensive it (in combination with the Smart Cover) was compared to the previous one-piece iPad Air leather smart cases.