Smart Case Magnets?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Good.Shepherd, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Good.Shepherd macrumors member

My question is about the smart case, but also the plentiful "magnetic clasp" ipad cases I've seen over the last few weeks.

It was my general understanding that magnets and screens and magnets and HDs just should not mix.

With these do any kind of long term damage? Have I just misunderstood the rule all of these years?

2. Dark macrumors regular

Flash Memory.

3. Good.Shepherd thread starter macrumors member

I don't get it.

4. DeuxIt macrumors member

iPads dont have HD's, they have flash memory. the screens that were affected by magnets were crt's, ipads have lcd screens. and just so you know, every speaker has a magnet. every macbook has a magnet to keep the screen closed.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The magnets were engineered into the iPad so no need for concern. The iPad cases just have metal. Also you'd need an industrial strength magnet to do any internal damage. The tiny magnets in the iPad are harmless -- they don't even stick to the back of the unit that well.

6. 3goldens, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

There are no magnets on the covers front though.
    I placed a small fridge magnet, just a sliver inside the Targus case I bought on Amazon over the weekend and it now does the sleep wake thing! Works great.

7. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

8. Saberj macrumors regular

It isn't. There are magnets inside the ipad, and magnets in the smart case, and they attach to each other. The case won't work on the first iPad as a result.