iPad Smart Case or Cover for the new iPad Air

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by ventuss, Dec 17, 2013.

1. ventuss macrumors 6502

My iPad Air shipped today and I still didn't buy a case. Should I get the smart cover or smart case? Is one better than the other? Is the iPad Air back as hard to scratch as the old silver models? Right now I don't know if it is worth to pay extra for the smart case.

2. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

3. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Try a Bodyguardz protector for the back and the SmartCase for the front.

4. meistervu macrumors 65816

Needless to say, some people like the case, the others like the cover.

I went with the case because I don't find the bare iPad comfortable to hold: cold, slippery metal.

If you don't mind the bare back, the cover can be taken off easily giving you a bare iPad whenever you want. The case is not easily removable, so you are stuck with it.

5. drea97 macrumors member

Get a smart case.

6. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

This^

7. meistervu macrumors 65816

unless you prefer a Smart Cover ;)

8. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

Smart Cover and fold around back for soft grip. Edges r still cold tho

9. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Sorry, you really need to read my response because I just went through this and have insight I don't think others will offer.

IF you get a smart cover, you will need to either get a skin to protect the back of the ipad, or a TPU case or a shell. Reason: When you fold the smart cover back, the front of the smart cover (with no microfiber lining) is in direct contact with the bare metal of the ipad. If you have ANY debris, it may cause small pits/scratches in the ipad. I found out the hard way, but luckily I had my ipad replaced for other reasons.

My recommendation is to just get the smart case. It is the best overall solution for light-weight, worry-free protection/use. Even with a skin + smart cover, you can really just drop it in your backpack worry-free. Some edges are exposed. Even with some shells and cases, they leave some areas exposed.

The Smart Case covers EVERYTHING, from buttons to even the area around the speaker and lightening port.

The few downsides it has are that it adds a little more weight to it, and some covers don't lay flat.

10. Robster3 macrumors 68000

As if, what did you roll your smart cover in the gravel, i have had a smart cover only and never got a mark on 2 iPads including the air. Smart cover and a belkin shield or similar quality is the go, have tried both and smart cover as a stand is way better too. Cheaper and you can use without the cover, magnets hold the cover back too.

Way better set up than a smart case.

11. goyellow macrumors newbie

I used a smart case

12. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I bought the smart case at best buy and I absolutely hated it. The edges felt way too sharp and when I folded the cover back, it didn't sit flat. This made it difficult to hold. The price didn't help matters either.

I returned it, picked up a smart cover and bought a Caudabe Shell to protect the back. This combo works perfectly. Happy camper for now.

13. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

if you get a cover i would suggest getting a back cover that is compatible with the smart cover to protect the rest of the ipad. the cover really only covers the screen from scratches.

14. echo2011 macrumors regular

I'm running a black smart cover with the Belkin clear shield sheer matte case on the back and like that combo very well.

15. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I agree with this setup. I use a Smart Cover with a Poetic Thinshell on the back. Here are some pictures:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1675996

16. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Case never interested me. I like the flexibility of being able to remove the cover. Belkin makes a nice rear cover that works w/ the smart cover.