Smart Cases: are they as crap as they look?

Carl Sagan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 31, 2011
The Universe
The Smart Case doesn't seem to get the love the Smart Cover does, are they worth getting? Are the reports of the new iPad not fitting in it properly (sliding around etc) true?

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Of course they are true....go try a few on at a apple store, I tried 3 and all had a bad fit, sharp edge and cheap looks......

Smart cover/incipio back and spiegen valentinus fit my needs

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Very overpriced. You're better off getting a keyboard cover (e.g. Logitech's) rather than paying almost $80 for a leather one.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Just get the Marware MicroShell Folio.
That's the Smart Case that Apple should have made but Marware beat them to it.
Around $30 if you look around.

Bleak

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2010
I bought a smart case and yes it is pretty awful. Material feels cheap and somewhat loose, the corners of the case are very pointy and will dig into your hands as you hold them, and there is no magnet on the back of the flap so you constantly have to hold it.

Get this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006R2OH4A/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d4_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=0907SKBMBSV9A325CC54&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939031&pf_rd_i=507846 Covers the ipad well and has a the same 'smart cover' on the front. It has pretty damn great reviews so far. I wish I could get it but I don't live in the US :'(

Carl Sagan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 31, 2011
The Universe
Just get the Marware MicroShell Folio.
That's the Smart Case that Apple should have made but Marware beat them to it.
Around $30 if you look around.
What about reports that the top cover isn't sturdy enough and the iPad falls over due to it?

Avik

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2012
What about reports that the top cover isn't sturdy enough and the iPad falls over due to it?
C R A P.

Ive got it now and am returning it to Best buy tomorrow.

After much research, i am going with the Devicewear Union hardshell back (great reviews-$20) and a refurb/like new black leather smart cover off of Ebay for around $25.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
They are IMO presicely cut but too bulky and not a fan of that fake, silicon finish.

Carl Sagan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 31, 2011
The Universe
C R A P.

Ive got it now and am returning it to Best buy tomorrow.

After much research, i am going with the Devicewear Union hardshell back (great reviews-$20) and a refurb/like new black leather smart cover off of Ebay for around $25.
What didn't you like about it?

hchavarria

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
I like my light gray smart case, don't see my iPad moving around and it replaced my smart cover since it provides full body protection.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Wirelessly posted

I really like my smart cover, well besides the pointy edges, doesnt make any sense really. The fitment is just right on mine however. I used the invellope (sp) one and I really liked it but the smart cover part soon lost its form, it wouldnt stay in a triangle, it started sagging and falling on me. Something with magnets I suppose.

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
It's unimpressive. It works but for the price, it's not good enough. It feels cheap, the fit is bad and because the flap is joined to the main part of the cover with the same soft material, it's not stable in the 'video' position and tends to sag a bit in the typing position.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
The brilliance of the SmartCover, is it's sales volume.

Typical Apple, clever name, strategically marketed, colorful appeal, yet total crap.

A big win for Apple

A sucker punch to the unsuspecting customer

And they still fawn over Apple :eek:

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
The brilliance of the SmartCover, is it's sales volume.

Typical Apple, clever name, strategically marketed, colorful appeal, yet total crap.

A big win for Apple

A sucker punch to the unsuspecting customer

And they still fawn over Apple :eek:

What a load of crap....stock at 623 because they are pulling some scam?

The cover is truly clever quality, but the case is crap......