iPad Smart Cover Air Owners -- Any Regrets?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Chupa Chupa, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Thinking of getting a Smart Cover to compliment my Belkin Sheer Shield. Somehow I can't get the price/value prop to wrap abound my head. So my question to you is, have you enjoyed your smart cover & would you buy again or just leave the front bare (w/ film screen protector).

Also, curious as to what color people have, and if they regret getting that color.

2. pagemaster macrumors member

I have been wondering this myself, they do seem a little expensive.

3. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I have the SC and backshell combination on my Air. I like it a lot. It's minimal but still protects from it from scratches.

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I have a red smart cover. I like it and would buy it again, but I'm also not terribly price conscious. I had a red leather one on my iPad 4 and was worried I wouldn't like the new material, but it has a really good feel and will almost certainly not show dirt like the leather did. The magnet strip is far better on the new design as well.

I like that it provides a reasonable amount of protection in my bag or when I fold it back and set it on a surface, but can be easily removed for a longer reading session.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah the magnetic hinge is way better than the metal ones they had before. I have a black one for my rMini.

6. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

you can usually find one on ebay for a little less than retail if 40 is too much. i found one for the mini on ebay for 16 dollars.

7. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

I have generally very much enjoyed the Apple smart covers. They're not cheap but they're good quality. I've seen the knockoffs in various places and they just either don't fold right or are made of noticeably cheaper materials. My wife has the Smart Cover for her Air and just ordered a Caudabe Shell for the back. She should be good to go.

8. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I have this setup. Better than the smart case i sent back. The magnets work on the back of the Belkin Shield to. i have clear belkin and black smart cover.

9. mikedesign macrumors newbie

10. j.benj macrumors member

I'm in the middle on my smart cover. Leather would have been much better than the neoprene, IMO. Unlike others here, I am not a fan of the new non-metal hinge as it doesnt stay aligned as well as the old metal design. When folded back I find that the smart cover slides around a bit. I guess if you find a back cover with a magnetic strip that wouldnt be an issue. I don't stand my ipad up very much so the tri-fold hasnt been an issue but I can certainly see where its less stable than the old model.

It's not a bad accessory, just not as good as I expect from Apple.

11. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

I'm actually very pleased with my Smart Cover. It's so simple yet effective. It sticks to the back when folded and provides a soft area for me to place my hands when holding it and protects the front when I'm done. Waiting on Magbak to release their iPad Air version and I will be set.

12. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

My Apple Smart Cover is ok but the magnets don't stick to the underside like I wish they would. (it kind of flops around). It's sturdy enough when perched on a table top in landscape mode.

Really, there's nothing much to the thing which makes you wonder why you paid so much. (For me, it was the only thing available when the iPad Air was released).

Much better than the Smart Case though. If a fly landed on it it would fall over. :p