Smart cover and the back of iPad

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
So, I've bought Smart cover for my iPad 3. I'm wondering what those who have iPad 2 ended up doing for the back side of iPad, which is not covered at all. I'm thinking of getting ghost armor, myself.

tekchic

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Gelaskin. They've got gorgeous artwork, and the 3M sticker shows no sign of wear after a full year of daily use (hours a day).

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I had a carbon-fiber type skin at first, but found it was too thick. So then I put on a Zagg skin but removed that when I bought an Incase Mag Snap back shell cover. Even the tiny little bit of thickness added by the Zagg skin kept my Mag Snap case from snapping on completely. I love that case....it has these metal strips that let the SmartCover lay flat against the back when you fold it over (so its not flopping around) and it also lets me prop the whole iPad up at a very comfortable angle for note taking, in addition to the "normal" SmartCover positions for movie watching or typing. Very versatile.

I hope Incase makes a new Mag Snap for the new iPad, perhaps this time with one of those spine-retainers that is meant to hold the SmartCover to the shell for added support.

will the back covers from a ipad 2 fit the new ipad
Mixed reports indicate that some will, some won't. You'll just have to try for yourself or wait for someone to do a case-by-case review. I'm betting that really close form-fitting back shells won't fit at all or won't fit well. The above-mentioned Incase Mag Snap likely being one of them since it was such a tight fit already on my iPad 2.

jeremiah239

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2007
239 Area, FL
This is what I use LINK and the company that makes the case said they are making an iPad 3 case. It's the ONLY case I will use on my iPad along with my Smart Cover.

EDIT: BTW this case is so thin that the Smart Cover works through it, meaning there is no cutout for the Smart Cover hinge, there is NO contact between the Smart Cover and the iPad, and there is no way the hinge can scratch the iPad.

Last edited:

wbeem

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2012
So, I've bought Smart cover for my iPad 3. I'm wondering what those who have iPad 2 ended up doing for the back side of iPad, which is not covered at all. I'm thinking of getting ghost armor, myself.
Another vote for Gelaskins. I used my own photo rather than select from their artwork. Great protection. It's the same 3M stuff they use to put skins on cars or buses for advertising.

ihatephish

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2011
For my iPad 2, I've only used the smart cover along with sfbags sleeve. It's PERFECT for what I need.

LittleRedBird

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
I have a smart cover and use nothing on the back. I use a sleeve for transport. Works great for me. Not one scratch or blemish on the back! I plan on doing the same with the new iPad.