Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
So my son and I went to Best Buy yesterday to mess with the iPad 2. I have already ordered mine and should get it this week sometime, but I just wanted to mess with one anyway. (Still can't believe how thin, yet solid, they are.)

The one on display had a smart cover on it. Of course, whoever tried it last put it back on the iPad backwards. So anyway, I was messing around with the smart cover and noticed there was a scuff on the iPad near the top magnet.

I know these hinges are padded with rubber, but I didn't order one specifically because I feared the damage they would do to the back of the iPad 2. I ordered a wraparound case similar to my Belkin Grip Vue for my iPhone 4 instead of the smart cover.

For any of you using the smart cover, have you noticed any damage done by the contact points? I guess if you're using the smart cover as your only protection, you probably don't care, but..........

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
I haven't noticed any damage from the smart cover, the demo unit probably had the marks because so many people come and mess around with the smart cover (take it on and of/move it around) more then you would when you just use it at home.

The smart cover has pretty good protection, the aluminium on the back of the iPad is really strong and very hard to scratch just by putting it on the kitchen table or your desk. I however have a back case which is compatible with the smart cover mainly just to provide some extra protection if I was to drop the iPad, you can read about the backcover here: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120708763563&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
I don't know if you really have anything to worry about but you can always put a skin on the back which should take care of any scratches/scuffs.

I didn't even order a smart cover. I just liked it when I tried it at the store. I am going to be commuting with my iPad 2 every day and the smart cover just isn't going to do it for me. My iPad 2 will have a screen protector, a back protector, and then the whole thing will go inside of a zip up case. When I'm not using it, it will be in my Wenger back pack that actually has a dedicated iPad/laptop compartment. This thing is not going to get scratched OR water damaged! :)

Crosbie

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Brighton, UK
I commute every day. Mine goes in a laptop bag or a zipup 10" netbook bag, but otherwise has just a smart cover. It's perfectly well protected, flawless after a few weeks' use like this.

What you might have seen in the store is a little residue/lubricant from the hinge of the SC. It wipes off the iPad in seconds.

The only problem is that it does stain the light-coloured leather covers... anyone got a solution for this?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Loving my smart cover bu yes I you take it out everyday you will nee something fo the back. Not a bi issue for me as I only use minen at hom and th smart cover works great

macse30

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
Smart cover is amazing. Love it.

Took my iPad to a jobsite recently to do some event rigging and lighting. I didn't have any protection for the back so I took a roll of black gaffer's tape and presto! The aluminum is protected from scratches and has a grippy back surface. The low-tack adhesive should leave little residue.

nosser

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2005
Orange County California
I have the smart cover and love it. I like the slim profile. I had a yoobao case v4 on an ipad1 and like that as well but I like this combo better. I ordered a gray tpu case that is compatible with the smart cover but was given a zaggskin for the back and haven't tried the case yet since I like the slimness of just the skin and the smart cover.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.