Smart Cover inconvenient?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by w00t951, Apr 1, 2012.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Does anyone else find the smart cover inconvenient to use in portrait mode? It slides around while typing, and it just gets in the way.

Also, does the Smart Cover scratch iPads? I've seen friends' iPads where Smart Covers have left markings on the aluminum. It appears to be from when the cover was bent all the way back, allowing the hinges to scuff the iPad.

Thanks.

2. Mr.C macrumors 601

I've not had any such issue with my iPad 2 or now iPad Third Generation in either portrait or landscape mode. Mind you I rarely use mine in portrait mode. You could get one of those TPU back covers that have a metal strip that holds the iPad in place. They also protect the back of your iPad.

Regards scuff marks I've heard a few people in these and other forums mention it. Personally I never experienced it on my iPad 2. It's too soon to say regards my New iPad.

3. Sir David macrumors newbie

Yes, sometimes when reading or typing on the couch or sitting in the tram but it's also a very useful accessory when typing on the table.

Yes, I had some markings with my first iPad 2 and Smart Cover last year. I complained the issue and got it replaced. I used my 2nd iPad like my first Device but had no further things to complain (no scratches,...).

4. w00t951 thread starter macrumors 68000

w00t951

Oh, so Apple will replace an iPad that is scuffed as a result of the Smart Cover? That's terrific!

5. sphinx99 macrumors member

So far no scuffing (hope it stays that way) but I do wish the smart cover clasped more firmly to the back of the iPad when not in use; there definitely are some magnets holding it, but they are somewhat weak. Right now I'm removing it when in portrait mode.

6. Sir David macrumors newbie

Yes, they did it (last year).

7. Jessemtz25 macrumors regular

Jessemtz25

Mine doesn't slide at all. Idk what you're talking about. As for the hinge marks. On my iPad 2 and this one it is just a visible mark that wipes away easily.

8. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Really you people are returning iPads because of scratches that don't affect the overall usability of the iPad? Some people are ridiculous...

9. SimonBS macrumors regular

SimonBS

For those of you who find the Smart Cover inconvenient when folded back, you might wanna try the Belkin Snap Shield Secure I have ordered one for my iPad. I haven't received it yet, though, but it looks promising.

10. Mr.C macrumors 601

I would think twice before criticising or flaming others. It may not be a bother to you but that doesn't mean it's wrong if it bothers others. I'm the same and will not accept marks, scratches or any other kind of damage regardless of whether it affects functionality or not.

I and anyone else have every right to feel that way. If nothing else it can significantly affect the resale value. I tend to upgrade every time a new model is released and sell the old one to subsidise the cost of the new one. Next time please keep your opinion to yourself if your going to criticise others.

----------

That's what I was referring to in my earlier post. I have the regular snap shield without the metal strip as it was back ordered and I wanted one right away.

11. Sir David macrumors newbie

Yes because I thought I spent a lot of money for two high quality Apple products. And yes again, I also believed that something was wrong with the products (I mean my iPad got scratches caused to the Smart Cover).

I returned it, I got a new one and it never happened again. So I think it was ok.

12. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Right now I'm sitting on the couch watching spiderman 2 on FX and growing in portrait mode. I took my smart cover off.

13. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Well, I tend to agree that it's ridiculous to obsess over Smart Cover introduced scuffs. Any device is going to show signs of wear at some point. No big deal from my POV.

As far as the cover itself goes, I seldom find that it gets in the way, and when it does I just click it off. It's kind of a shame that Apple doesn't include a Smart Cover with every iPad. The way I see it the cover is a vital part of the device.

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

When I use my iPad in portrait mode, I either fold the smart cover in half and hold it against the back of the iPad, or just take it off. I considered getting one of those back covers with a magnetic strip, but then I found a soft TPU cover without a magnet whose texture I really liked, so I'm living without the magnet.

As for the smart cover scratching the iPad, my iPad 2 did eventually get those scratches after about half a year. I gave that one to my cousin, who doesn't care about such cosmetic damage, but it could affect resale price of I ever decide to sell my 3. I've put a strip of clear tape where the smart cover attaches to the iPad, we'll see how it holds up.

15. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

You're on a forum where people have opinions, if you don't like it then don't post... Scratches and scuffs happen. Apple didn't buy the smart cover and put it on your iPad and then use it, did they? Any scratches or scuffs I get on my iPad from using the smart cover I decided to purchase is on me, not apple. If I didn't want scratches on it and only cared about resale value I would leave it in it's box and never touch it. I stick with my original post which says you and the other folks who return your iPad because you used it are ridiculous.

16. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I was just doing some quick reading on the apple website about the smart cover... Nowhere does it state that it will keep away all dust and other particles that may scratch an iPad. That's weird... According to the folks here on MacRumors it seems like the smart cover should do this, hmmmmmm. :rolleyes:

It does exactly what their site says: adds a little protection, wakes on open and sleeps on close, acts as a keyboard stand or movie stand, etc. Maybe you all are seeing a different set of functions for the smart cover that I am unaware of?

17. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

OP, the cover can pulled off whenever you want to type or use the iPad. If it were permanently attached then yes it would.

18. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Yes, I almost ordered that myself, but I ended up just putting a Ghost Armour shield on the back. Even though the snap shield is thin, it does add some bulk, obviously the skin on the back doesn't add any bulk and protects the back from scratches. That's what I've done with all the iterations of the iPad and it works great. The smart cover's magnets attach over the shield, so there's no worries about marks from it.

Who on these forums ever said it would keep all dust and particles away?

19. Mr.C macrumors 601

Rubbish. Your post doesn't make sense or has any validity. You have no business flaming or criticising other people. I'm also perfectly within my rights to expect no scratches, marks or scuffs on my iPad. There is nothing wrong in that. Just because you couldn't careless how you take care of your stuff doesn't mean others shouldn't. If you have nothing constructive to post then I suggest you don't post at all. Don't go around insulting others just because you don't agree with their views. It's not something I do and I don't expect you or anyone else to either.

20. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

So if u bought a new car and installed an accessory purchased directly from the same car maker and it scratched the paint off the hood just because it was badly designed, you wouldn't bring it back to the dealer and expect them to fix it? I would.