Smart cover isn't a real protector

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by needthephone, Sep 30, 2011.

1. needthephone, Sep 30, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011

needthephone macrumors 6502a

I dropped my ipad2 and cracked the screen. Yes my fault but it was only about a foot onto tiles. Unfortunately the smart covet was folded to the back and it fell glass side down.

As I said it's my fault but I cant help feel that the smart cover just doesn't offer real protection.

You need it protected when you least expect it to drop and in those occasions like mine, the cover could well be folded away from the glass, after all it's not like ok the screen is protected NOW I'll drop it.

I drop my iphone4 all the time from several feet and thankfully the bumper does the job.

When I get my new iPad I will be getting a real case not just this smart cover..

I post this as a sincere warning to get a good case. Not trying to say it's not my fault or bag apple( I love their stuff) but listen to my experience here and don't rely on the smart cover to save the glass!!

2. Ivanv15 macrumors newbie

I'm going to have to agree with you. When I brought my iPad 2 I also got the "cover" thinking it would protect my iPad, but all it does it protect the screen when I am not using it and it's a great stand apart from that there isn't much protecting going on.

3. preppy macrumors member

preppy

No kidding...that smart cover is pretty much additional eye-candy for the iPad...nothing more....there are times where I am holding the ipad with the smart cover folded back (or in its triangle shape) and I think...what is the point of this thing?

Don't get me wrong, this issue has been beaten to death, revived, and beaten to death again, but I find it funny that regardless of how many other cases I have, every few weeks I pull out the smart cover again and use it for about a week before I take it off and put on something more protective...

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

5. glen e, Sep 30, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011

glen e macrumors 68030

and the minute you got the cover in your hands you could not tell it was just a clever cover? Why so surprised? Did Apple ever portray it as a case?

It is overpriced, but I never felt it was being mis-advertised...

with a 7 dollar plastic back from amazon or ebay it's my go to case when I'm traveling and pulling the ipad in and out my bag 20 times a day...
    great plastic backs here - I buy them 3 at a time:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XIT4NO

[​IMG]

6. ApplDMan macrumors newbie

Sorry to hear that. but i believe the main reason why the bumper case can save the phone is gravity. The phone is significantly lighter than the iPad.

7. imahawki macrumors 6502a

LOL? Are you serious? Gravity is a constant and the iPhone doesn't have enough wind resistance to fall "slower" than an iPad.

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yes, yes he is. Pull out a primary school science book and read up on Newton's Laws of Motion.

9. ApplDMan macrumors newbie

Before you laugh .. please check what you say first....

Gravitation, or gravity, is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

Do I need to explain what is the difference between MASS and weight??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitation

no wonder US is so far behind :(

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Lets not make the assumption he's from the US.

I know some stupid people here, but I've never met anyone who hasn't made it through at least the elementary level where you get the apple falling gravity lessons.

11. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

LOL, your post makes you sound like a huge fool. I'd be too embarrassed to post again on this thread if I were you.

12. dqfayi macrumors regular

The cover could well be folded away from the glass, after all it's not like ok the screen is protected NOW I'll drop it.

13. Skika macrumors 68030

I would say the smart cover is only a screen scratch preventer/minor impact protector.

14. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

Assuming no air resistance, the acceleration due to gravity is a constant. The gravitational force acting on an object (weight) does depend on mass but that will not change the acceleration if air can be ignored. The iPad will have a greater force from air resistance due to greater surface area, but the distance of most drops will make that effect minimal.

So technically he was pretty close to correct about the effects of the Earth's gravitational field being a constant. BTW Galileo discovered this before Newton was born.

15. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Doesn't make it any less "real". If you need glass protection while using the device then the smart cover isn't a suitable solution for you (may be fine for others) for obvious reasons. Why would you rely on it? Why did you think it would protect the glass when it wasn't covering the glass? Always consider your specific needs/wants when shopping. I wanted back coverage so the smart cover was a non-starter for me. YMMV, of course.

16. hiPad macrumors newbie

I also bought the smart cover. After using it for a while I realized it is indeed not protexcted enough. I ordered a case from switcheasy to protect it better. I should receive it this week.

17. dqfayi macrumors regular

sorry about that, i think you need a case or a cover to protect your iPad 2 in a right way...