Smart Cover latch scratched the front of iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by wallstreetcrash, Mar 26, 2011.

1. wallstreetcrash macrumors regular

Went into the Genius Bar my iPad I bought today and I bought the plastic smart cover. I inspected my screen before putting it on, and now it has a scratch which I am sure was caused by the latch.

Genius won't replace! :mad:

2. shandyman Suspended

what latch? the only thing touching the screen with the smart cover is the microfiber lining. also a plastic one? there's only Polyurethane or leather. have you got some cheap knock off?

3. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

That's the exact reason I stayed away from the Smart Covers. I love the concept, just not the execution. And, it's important for me to keep the back protected.

Maybe you should try a different Apple store? Or (I won't be popular for saying this) make up another problem. Like, the screen goes unresponsive or the cameras fail to work every so often. Maybe you'll have better luck.

4. aperry macrumors 6502a

If the latch scratched the screen, then you definitely are using it wrong. The latch can scratch the aluminum side edge, but not the screen. Anyway, there's a good chance your iPad has backlight bleeding and you could get it swapped out for that reason if you really think you've been wronged here. See the other threads on the bleeding issue.

5. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Note to self.. Don't drag aluminum across glass. It scratches.

6. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Genius won't replace...

Duh, they're saving replacements for people who ACTUALLY have problems from manufacturing.

You think they'll give you a freebie for scratching your own glass?

FFS.

7. Angler macrumors regular

Why would they replace the iPad when it was your fault for scratching the screen?

8. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

At first I thought he was saying the Apple employee scratched it, but then I reread the post and I have no idea what he means.

9. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

Clearly one has to be a bit careful when using the smart cover. For example if removing it, make sure you pull it away from the glass. Don't pull the smart cover away from the device across the display. And when attaching don't just drop it again the screen, be a bit careful and make sure it is only making contact with the side. If that requires to much effort, then clearly you don't need to be using the smart cover. I've had no issues with it and it looks great.

10. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

I think he is trying to say that he was at the genius bar (reason unknown, probably 'backlight bleeding' which people are blabbing on about as if these iPads are marketed as having a LaCie Display) and decided to buy a Smart Cover.

Somehow he managed to scratch the screen while using the smart cover and now expects a replacement.

There is no way to scratch the screen with a smart cover during proper use.

It is people with attitudes like this that are going to make Apple's Customer Service worse over time because they will soon start losing money through being nice to people with one off cases

11. shandyman Suspended

exactly, he goes on about a latch, all i can think is he means the magnet bar bit, but that shouldn't touch the screen in normal use, so if he's scratched it with that he's doing something stupidly wrong so it's his own fault.

12. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

The idiotic thing is, the could of made the metal bits on the smart cover from a nice looking high quality plastic instead.

But No, Apple just HAS to use Aluminium to be cool, and metal to metal will scratch.

Design over function as per normal :(

13. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

More like design over... design. Don't tell me a few scratches on the aluminum side of the iPad affects function in any way.

14. M87 macrumors 65816

How the hell do you scratch the screen with the smart cover? The thing attaches itself correctly and you still managed to screw up?

I'm pretty sure I see a rubber strip lining the area where the metal would come in contact with the iPad. The magnets are pretty strong too, once it's on it's not moving around. I don't see how anyone could possibly manage to inflict damage with the smart cover unless they were trying.

15. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Please suggest how you would make plastic magnetic.

And 'High quality plastic'! You polish a turd, it's still a turd.

16. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Maybe that is why Apple put plastic/rubber tabs on the edge of the cover that attaches to the aluminum edge...

There is no metal on metal contact unless a random shard of metal magnetically attached itself to the cover.

17. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Well no. but then a car accessory that potentially was going to scratch your car paintwork would be looked at badly also, even though it was only cosmetic.

Then again, I think things like the iMac and Apple keyboards are built to look nice rather than perform well.

Making things look nice is great.

Making things functionally worse to look great is another issue I'm not a fan of.

18. epictempo macrumors regular

Mine too

My cover fell off while in my laptop bag and gave the screen two good scratches. I hate this darn thing, it falls off unintentionally daily and of course back has a scratch since it's bare. Glad my macally case came in today.

19. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I know some Apple fans have a mental issue with Plastic, even though there are times when Plastic would be a better, stronger, lighter maternal than the much loved aluminium.

Actually Plastic magnets would have been even easier than what Apple did with the Aluminium.
    You can mix magnetic particles into the right type of plastic to make plastic magnets you know.

But, as I said, I know for some people who know no better, anything plastic much be junk.

You can even have flexible plastic magnets if you wish:
    http://www.stanfordmagnets.com/flexible-plastic.html

20. PCClone macrumors 6502a

Sounds like he thought the metal was supposed to lock on the screen. Maybe he should watch the online demo. Duh!

21. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

So your argument is now so weak you have to try and reinforce it with a link about flexible magnets?

I think you are the sort of person who, if Apple did make the smart cover using plastic, would have started a thread complaining of cost cutting.

22. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

This is just ridiculous. Please divulge into how the iMac and Keyboard do not perform well?

The iMacs are possibly the simplest desktop computer you can buy, and the keyboard sits low and is comfortable to type on, and has an identical layout to the laptop keyboards which makes sense.

If you were complaining about the Magic Trackpad, then I'd understand...

23. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I don't really understand where you are coming from?

You have a product, that's the main item, and you wish to create an accessory that attaches to this, but won't have the potential to cause any damage.

I feel you should select the best material for the job it needs to perform, be that metal, plastic, glass, wood, whatever.

I don't select the material using the "Cool, Hip, Trendy" scale of calculation.

I also don't have mental problems in understanding that in some instances, making an item from a nice grade of plastic, with a nice quality finish may be a better material selection to perform the task than aluminium.

As I said, Some people have a problem with this, and for historic reasons cannot help but think: Plastic = Rubbish.

I just don't agree with this sweeping mentality. Every material has it's place, and it's own strengths and weaknesses.

24. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Since when have I said plastic was rubbish? Plastic is fine. Aluminium is fine. But given the choice between the two, aluminium is by far the most preferable. It's stronger. It is more visually appealing. It looks more expensive. It won't damage the product when not used by idiots. It is less flexible so won't lose it's alignment over time. It won't discolour. Etc etc.

And you imply that plastic can't damage the product. Take a piece of plastic and a piece of smooth aluminium and rub them on the iPad. I'm sure you'll find they cause a similar amount of scratching.

I still just can't believe you'd rather they were made using plastic. Ask someone who's never heard of Apple, and they'd choose metal.

25. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens